Emotions of THON

With the release of the THON documentary tonight, “Why We Dance,” I couldn’t help recalling the film’s preview and all other preceding videos about the largest student-run philanthropic effort hosted here in Penn State. I personally cannot watch one of the many YouTube videos about the subject without wanting to cry (and I don’t cry at many things) due to the intense inspiration of the clips in combination with empowering text. Each video provokes one’s emotions, infiltrating thoughts first with the horrible effects of pediatric cancers and then with the uplifting tale of THON, working to relieve the emotional and financial pain experienced by the diagnosed children and their families. When the unforgettable number cards unfold one by one to reveal the amount of money raised, many feel an uncontrollable chill run up his/her spine. The touching background music in combination with the moving scenes where smiles are contagious and the only tears to be found are of joy, truly “tug at one’s heartstrings.” Although it is a shame that THON has to exist in terms of the continual presence childhood cancer, it is a wonderful opportunity for unity, to showcase that no one is fighting the battle alone. WE ARE…here for those who need renewed strength and motivation to go on combating these awful conditions. Penn Staters, too, are united under this positive cause, especially after the negative controversy experienced over the past year. As one of the many, I cannot wait for the documentary premier tonight! I’ll probably be an emotional mess, but I believe it will be an outstanding documentary and will renew our inspiration to move forward as one community.

2 responses to “Emotions of THON

1. Shqiponja Likaj

Viv, I feel the same exact way when watching these videos. Every single time I think of the amazing things we as a student body accomplish together through hard work it astounds me. The passion, love, and hope found throughout the journey of THON is remarkable; I personally can not wait to finally be a part of it all.

2. I was fortunate enough to see the documentary two weeks ago, and it is probably the most moving thing that I’ve ever seen, although clearly I was a little biased being a student at Penn State. THON is really an incredible event, and it definitely rallies the community around one cause. Everyone is fighting ftk, and don’t worry about crying during the film, because you’re going to be doing a lot of it!