Civic Issues: Transsexualism in Iran

Alright, we all are probably pretty up-to-date on the fight for marriage equality in the United States since it has been dominating much of the media of late. So instead I wanted to share with you guys something we recently discussed in my Anthropology course (Evolution of Human Sexuality) to switch it up a little. This is pretty fascinating and relevant enough to our topic that I believe you’ll really be interested.

In class, we watched a documentary (inserted below) about Transsexualism in Iran. Did you know that Iran is #2 in the world for Transgendered surgeries (#1 is  Thailand)? This is because, by law, nearly half of the cost of each procedure is covered by government payments. Transsexuals are completely accepted by their surrounding society and the change even results in an altered birth certificate. Because the religion of this region dictates the law, the Koran is rule and it does not state any wrongdoing associated with changing one’s biological sex… however, it does specifically dub homosexuality as a sin. This is where it gets hairy… Of course there are many gender non-conforming men and women who desire this surgery more than anything, but a large number of the participants experience the harsh pressures of their society (or their significant other) and feel the procedure is the only option to relieve the torture they often endure while in public as homosexuals. In the documentary, one man awaiting the surgery states his tragic situation and fantasizes of living in “The West,” where gays are more widely accepted–ironic right? The dynamics of this occurrence are incredible. On one side you have this openness and almost total acceptance with transsexual individuals (partial cost, legally new gender, can easily marry, no harassment, etc.), but then again you have this severe, and disheartening, double standard for homosexuals. So the nation is only progressive to an extent… Anyway, thought this was an interesting view into the advances and struggles of other places around the world.

So what do you think? Will things ever change? I suppose it will be hard since the government is at the discretion of the Koran… But hopefully things will change someday (for both of our nations)!

If you have any free time this weekend, I strongly suggest that you check this out:

2 responses to “Civic Issues: Transsexualism in Iran

1. I have to agree with Drea, it is usually gay rights and not transexual or asexual rights. Especially because this story comes from such a repressive regime, it is cool!

2. Andrea Meyer

This is so interesting. I think in a lot of media the “T” from LGBTA is often left out and under publicized. This is also totally moving and shows an entirely different perspective especially from a country with such oppression.