Summer CUSP Institute is held in the summer for undergraduates who are normally in their second or third year of study and are considering pursuing a career in Philosophy. Students will be brought to Penn State for a week to attend seminars designed to cultivate the skill sets necessary to excel in the field of Philosophy.
The goals of the Summer Institute are to:
- Increase the knowledge of, and interest in, doctoral-level training in philosophy.
- Provide one-on-one meetings with faculty focused on strengthening philosophical writing and presentations; seminars and workshops to refine students’ critical reading and writing skills.
- Present an opportunity for students to visit one of the most diverse philosophy departments in the country.
- Enhance students’ knowledge of the graduate application process, negotiating the academic rigors and professional and personal challenges encountered in graduate school, and developing an academic career in philosophy.
- Provide long-term mentoring and networking opportunities with faculty members and graduate students at Penn State.