Civic Artifact Speech Outline

Intro:

• Image of Möbius campaign
    • who here as seen it around campus?
  • It is posted around every trash, recycling, and compost bin in the Hub, the dining halls, the dorm, literally everywhere on campus.
  • Personalize/ interest
    • One feels obliged to properly sort your trash here on campus where at home you might not have had a second thought about throwing out that empty bottle in the trash.
    • Statistic on food waste and recycling materials

Background:

• Became a campaign in 2014 by Penn State Waste Management and Sustainability
  • “closing the loop”
    • Reduce and recycle
  • Consumed by Students, Faculty, and anyone on the Penn State Campus
  • Need for it: climate change and limited resources are affecting us now and can severely impact future generations
    • Kairos

Rhetoric:

• — “Are You Sure?” Image
    • Ethos— Penn State as an institution strives to be sustainable and environmentally friendly
    • Pathos— triggers guilt or embarrassment if not properly sorting trash and recycling
  • Ideologies/Commonplaces
    • We need to protect and save the environment
    • Going green (sustainability)

Function Civically:

• Creates a standard and habit, that we will continue with after we graduate, it accustoms professors and faculty alike to actively think and be aware of how we can impact the environment both positively and negative with a simple action where we put our waste.
  • It’s our duties as citizens of not only this Penn State community to be responsible and do our civic duty to preserve the environment and protect our resources, but as citizens of the US and the world as a whole.

Conclusion:

• Through the use of commonplaces and other elements of rhetoric, the Möbius campaign make us as Penn Staters aware and responsible for our waste.
  • There are roughly 46,000 students here on campus and from this campaign that is roughly 46,000 ecological footprints that have just gotten smaller.
  • Thank you

1 Thought.

1. I think this is a great artifact to analyze because it is so effective. I didn’t know the name of the campaign but when you described it, I remembered all the times the “Are you sure?” made me feel self-conscious about what I was throwing away and what I was recycling. The impact of the campaigns is unquestionable and I think your concluding points about students maintaining these habits after graduation and the lessening of 46,000 ecological footprints are very effective. The Mobius signs definitely successfully call us to be civic and I think shining a little more light on the campaign will be very interesting for us to see why it works and how it is so impactful on our student culture and consequently, our world.