Ibram X Kendi

While listening to Ibram X Kendi speak, I realized that his message was important to myself, Penn State, and the country as a whole. I had never even thought about the distinction between a nonracist and an anti-racist, but I think that the distinction is valuable and especially important in today’s America.

One element of Kendi’s argument was the fact that universities need to do more in terms of promoting an anti-racist environment. Kendi noted the fact that we should evaluate a universities diversity based not only off of how diverse the student body is, but how diverse the faculty and staff is. I think this is extremely important because teachers and other educators play a large role in forming the opinions and viewpoints of students, and a diverse teaching body could help better promote a more accepting and anti-racist mindset. Kendi also talks about the fact that University research about issues of race needs not only to be done, but to be implemented into University life. It seems that Kendi was suggesting that research is often done, but it is rare that Universities then develop a plan to take what they learned and promote change. One way that I think this could be changed is by having research on issues of race not only expose the problems, but also search for solutions and then implement them

Another element of Kendi’s presentation that I found very interesting is when he answered how to respond to somebody who does not believe in systemic racism. I have a couple of friends who never like when I mention the concept of institutionalized racism, and it has been difficult for me to engage in dialogue with them in the past. Kendi makes the point that there is empirical evidence that race disparities exist, so if one does not believe in systemic issues in America, they must then support the fact that some races are superior. Here Kendi lays out his argument very simply, while still showing the severity of what it means to say institutionalized racism does not exist. I’ve never wanted to tell me friends “if you don’t believe in it than your racist”, but the way that Kendi put it allows me to show the flaws of the opposing argument.

I found it super interesting how Ibram Kendi talked about how COVID is demonstrating some of Americas systemic injustices. He says that science shows that African Americans and other minorities are not more physically prone to death because of corona, but death rates are higher as a result of not being able to work from home. He also mentions the fact that many African Americans live in “Trauma deserts”, which means that there is no nearby hospitals or medical centers. This in addition to public transportation issues and a lack of a personal vehicle could prevent someone from receiving sufficient care. When this question was first asked I had not even known that minorities were disproportionately affected, but after his answer I realized just how extensive the issues caused by institutionalized racism are.

Myself, Penn State University, and the United States have a long way to go in order to be completely anti-racist. I personally have challenged myself realize that my life as a white male is not the universal human experience. I have loved listening to people like Ibram Kendi and other activists like Bryan Stevenson throughout my education, and I think it is important for my peers at Penn State to hear what they have to say as well. Penn State does not in fact have an illustrious history in terms of racial justice, as much as they love to talk about their football teams heroics that started the WE ARE chant. The campus still has a long way to go in terms of becoming more diverse and teaching students practical ways to become anti-racist.