The Resurgence of the Kobe “Grinch”

Kobe

In the fall of 2010, Kobe Bryant released a pair of vibrant green sneakers titled the Nike Kobe 6 “Grinch”. Praised for their festive colorway and on-court comfortability, the sneakers became a hot commodity upon initial release. Bryant wore the sneakers on multiple occasions during the 2010 season, cementing the shoe’s position on the “must-have” list of every sneakerhead and basketball fanatic. In 2010, the shoes were given to courtside seat holders on the sideline of the Heat vz Lakers Christmas day game, allowing the shoes to cross over from basketball lure to everyday street attire.

Kobe Grinch via Pinterest

10 years after the shoes initial release, the Grinches began to grace the court again, this time in the form of tribute rather than hype. NBA players from across the league wore and continue to wear these fluorescent green shoes as a way to pay their personal respects to Kobe’s legacy. Part of the reason why this league wide trend has become so noticeable is the fact that the bold-colored sneakers match with almost no NBA team’s jerseys, making their presence apparent on the court.

The 2020 lakers took a particular liking to the shoe, and viewed it as an honor to rep the 6s on the 10 year anniversary of its release. All Star Power Forward Anthony Davis called the kicks “The best Christmas Shoe Ever”

Although efforts by NBA players to wear the shoes as often as possible were rooted in a desire to pay homage to the NBA great, they have allowed the shoes to garner some considerable clout on multiple streetwear outlets such as GOAT, FlightClub, and Stadium Goods.

The shoes that are hitting the markets are a combination of the original 2010 releases, as well as a much-anticipated re-release which occurred in December 2020.

Athletes are always looking for ways to stand out, so some stars have decided to create their own takes on the legendary shoe. Kelly Oubre of the Golden State Warriors has secured a recent partnership with Converse, a legendary basketball shoe brand that has fallen out of favor with most of today’s recent stars. Oubre has plans to revive Converse’s influence on the basketball shoe game, and wanted to create a spinoff of Bryant’s legendary “Grinch” Sneakers.

In an interview with sportswriter Aaron Dodson, Oubre describes his affinity with the 6s since their initial release. “I Could never afford those shoes back in the day, and I am sure that if I would have been able to afford them, they would have been sold out before I could purchase them.” Oubre’s family home was devastated by hurricane Katrina, so Oubre understands all too well the trials and tribulations of poverty.

Oubre’s Shoes via NiceKicks

The shoes are titled the “All pro BB Nocturnals”, and were designed by the same legendary creator who crafted the Kobe 6 Grinches: Eric Avar. The shoes are much more affordable than the Grinches, topping out at about 100$ for a brand new pair.

Regardless of whether athletes choose to wear the classic Kobe “Grinch” sneakers, or create their own version of the classic, the resurgence of the Kobe brand allows for a respectful avenue of remembrance. Bryant passed away in a helicopter accident in January of 2020.

3 thoughts on “The Resurgence of the Kobe “Grinch”

1. It is so cool to see how fashion- in this case shoes, can bring people together. It is so heartwarming to learn that so many players decided to wear these shoes in honor of Kobe. If anything, the resurgence of these shoes proves just how irreplaceable Kobe is, as well as the profound impact he had on basketball and the sports community in general.

2. I love reading your posts about the fashion industry of the sports world. This post is really sweet, I love that athletes on all different teams are sporting variations of Kobe’s shoe to honor him.

3. I think it’s notable that Anthony Davis called the Grinches “the best Christmas shoe ever” because, frankly, I didn’t know other Christmas shoes existed! The shoes making a comeback a decade later is such a testament to Kobe’s legacy and mark on the NBA. I love the new Converse design inspired by the original Nike Grinches! If I could pull off green, I would definitely snag a pair.