Philadelphia’s New QB1: Jalen Hurts

The Carson Wentz era of Philadelphia has come to a sudden and disappointing end, after five seasons of hope, stardom, and ultimate disappointment. Despite the immense promise that the quarterback showed during his 2017 Super Bowl Season, the up and down QB felt that a change of scenery may do him good, and the Eagles agreed. Enter, Jalen Hurts. Hurts was a surprise second round draft pick from the Philadelphia Eagles in 2020. A star Quarterback out of Oklahoma, Jalen is poised to be the Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback during week one of the 2021 season.

Hurts saw a bit of play time at the tail end of last season and has already cemented himself as a beloved figure across the city and in the mind of young football fans. Although his play was shaky to say the least, the Eagles won some games, and in Philly that is all that matters. Many people are excited about Jalen Hurts because of his capacity to carry on the legacy of great African American quarterbacks to play for the eagles. Historically, African Americans at the quarterback position were a relatively rare sight, unless they were on the Eagles. Star quarterbacks like Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Mike Vick are some of the most accomplished African Americans at the position, and all of them were Philadelphia Eagles. This narrative is certainly changing around the league however, as QBs like Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, and Patrick Mahomes are some of the best in the league.

via: SportsIllustrated

Jalen Hurts is extremely proud of his heritage and carries into both his in-game-antics and fashion. If you watch the sidelines after an Eagles touchdown drive, you will likely see Jalen toss up his hand and stick out his tongue to the side. This symbol pays homage to the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, which is a historically black fraternity. The fraternity began at Howard, and Hurts is the first member to start in the NFL at quarterback since Steve McNair. The fraternity is probably the most well-known, historic, and respected historically black organizations in the United States. Famous alumni throughout the country have expressed their joy when seeing Hurts throw up the symbol.

Via: Audacity

Hurts has a great sense of off field fashion. In a recent interview with GQ, Hurts says that he spent his first million stocking up his wardrobe and then saving the rest. Most of his style choices are rooted in his heritage, but he always finds ways to make his fit work. In the image below, Hurts is rocking a vintage Kobe Bryant Lower Merion High School jacket. This Jacket pays homage to a Philadelphia area legend, and a beloved African American icon. He wore this while donating $30,000 to a Nottingham, PA area child battling cancer. Although Hurts definitely doesn’t mind wearing flashy suits postgame, I’ve also never seen a Philadelphia athlete wear as much Philadelphia themes clothing as he does. Hurts loves to wear Phillies, Flyers, 76ers, and Eagles gear at various fundraisers and football workouts.

Although I predict the Eagles will be downright horrendous this season, I hope Hurts is our QB of the future. He is fun, a great teammate, and an advocate. I’m excited to watch him get a full 17 games under his belt in 2021.

3 thoughts on “Philadelphia’s New QB1: Jalen Hurts

1. I like how you’ve chosen to discuss a Pennsylvania-based athlete, as you wrap up blogs for the year. As an out-of-stater, I love reading about state teams and their influence on Pennsylvanians. While I could NEVER be a Steelers fan, I’d love to start supporting Philly teams… although I think I’ll stick to the Nats for hockey! I hope Hurts brings a new flavor to the Eagles in the coming years… and maybe a few wins along with it!

2. Hurts spending his first million on his wardrobe is very relatable, and something I would also totally do. Hurts seems like a real down to earth and inspiring guy, it is so great that he cherishes his heritage so much. I’m not an Eagles fan, but after reading about him, I’m excited to watch him this season.