2nd FYE: Fabulous 4th of July Weekend!

I have only been up at Penn State for a week but it was already time for a holiday weekend. 4th of July was here, which meant no class and lots of festivities. There was a parade, concert, 4k, and many other activities. First, on Saturday my roommate and I went to watch fireworks. We went to the stadiums to get the closest possible seats. We ended up sitting right outside Beaver Stadium. There was quite a large crowd that came to PSU to watch the fireworks. We had pretty good seats! The 50 minute firework show was fantastic, and the music that played during the show went along nicely. I definitely see why State College’s fireworks ranked #4 in the country. It was a little cloudy at first but the clouds moved along as the show went on. The only regret I had was that we didn’t try to get inside Medlar Field (baseball stadium) to watch the fireworks. After the show we found out that they were the best seats and were free. Well, at least we learned for the next time that we spend 4th of July up here on campus!

fireworks 2

On Sunday, the Women’s USA soccer team was playing in the World Cup Championship game against Japan. It was a rematch from the 2011 World Cup championship where Japan won. There was a vibe throughout the campus as everybody was really excited for the game. I got a bunch of friends together and we decided to go downtown and watch the game. We met up and went to Primanti Brothers. The restaurant was packed full of Team USA fans. It was Sunday which meant 50 cent wing night! My friends and I ordered wings at different times throughout the game and we had a great view of the game on many TVs. Team USA had a quick start and was up 4-0. The rest of the game was close but Team USA pulled out the win and won the World Cup for the first time since 1999! It was great getting to watch/experience the game and atmosphere.

Besides doing fun things this July 4th weekend, I also started to get adjusted to the work load. I have been pacing myself, but know it is very important not to get behind in my studies. I am finally getting adjusted to the large campus and now know where I am going. It took a week but I don’t need a map or help from anybody anymore! I’m excited for a full week of classes and for the next chapter of my time here at Penn State during summer semester.

One thought on “2nd FYE: Fabulous 4th of July Weekend!

1. rdn11

You should look into volunteering for 2016 — that will surely give you lots of perks.