Personal Statement

imagesCARQ4OC1

Personal Statement

Dominique Williams

Pennsylvania State University

My interest in health policy administration started off when I was a junior in High School.  At first, I wanted to major in business, but since throughout the years of being in High School, I wasn’t always a scholar in math or science. Even though, I thought and I wanted to get into business and maybe even own my own business one day. I had a sense in going into healthcare management. I knew for a fact that I was interested in some type of management, whether it was business or healthcare. So, I asked myself why not combine both and major in it.

I was so excited that I finally knew what I wanted to major in college. There has been plenty of news about Healthcare on TV, newspapers, and on the Internet. Healthcare is one of the fields that have most potential to grow in the job market. People in their everyday lives have to deal with healthcare one way or another. Also, healthcare has always been an important subject to me. For example, one of the issues that are still present about healthcare is about healthcare costs and how we can reduce healthcare costs and still give efficient healthcare. A lot of people have suffered about how to pay for healthcare costs and I always wanted to be a part of the process to help resolve this problem. Also

While starting my college career towards getting my bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration; I realized there is so many different directions where I could go in my career, such as: acute care, long term care, supply chain manager, nursing home administration and etc. Since I’ve been working towards getting my degree I have been taking my major classes. Taking my major classes have taught me a lot of information about healthcare, it has made me more understanding, interested and glad that I’ve made the right decision  to major in Healthcare Administration. A little while after starting my undergraduate career, I had the opportunity to get the feel of what it’s like to take health management courses.

Furthermore, majoring in Healthcare administration has let me develop many skills, knowledge, and values that are appropriate when beginning a career in health policy. Health administrators plan and organize the delivery of services within healthcare organizations for example: long and acute care facilities, rehab centers, hospitals and health clinics. I want to be able to use these skills after I graduate with my degree. I volunteer in programs such as, Lifelink and in the HPA club. For example, in Lifelink, I am able to a mentor people who have Down syndrome. I would walk them to class, do activities with them, and make sure they know I was there to help them. This experience, made me realize that Healthcare is definitely is the career I want. I care about the quality of life no matter who it is, and I think that people should be able to get a chance for a better future.

Ultimately, my goal is to find an internship that focuses on exactly on healthcare administration. Furthering my education will only help me to succeed and to be a great healthcare administrator.