Introduction: Jeffrey Dahmer’s Overview

Hello everyone, my name is Dayisha Busch and here I will write posts documenting my reactions to the infamous Netflix show”Monster”. “Monster” is based off of Jeffrey Dahmer,  one of America’s famous serialSuspected serial killer Jeffrey L. Dahmer enters t killers who preyed on numerous men, killing and sexualizing them in gruesome ways. To give an overview of this blog, he killed a span of 15 boys from 1978 to around 1991, where he was caught by Wisconsin police department and sentenced 15 times to serve life averaging 957 years. Although he was sentenced, the show made me think how did he get away with killing over a dozen men and never got caught? After watching episode 1, I started to realize that not only did the police department neglect Dahmer’s victims justice, but they neglected to even pursue investigating Dahmer when it was reports made. His neighbor, Glenda Cleveland tried to have Dahmer arrested when she noticed something was off in his apartment. She made claims that she would hear screaming sometimes coming from the vents of his apartment and that his apartment had a smell that didn’t smell pleasant. This part of the show was exaggerated to the extent that Glenda did not reside in the same building as Dahmer but to think if my neighbor apartment smelled that bad to the point it smelled like rotten flesh, I would automatically think something died. I smelled a dead animal before and it indeed smelled like death. But Glenda was ignored by the police, maybe because she was a woman of color living in a low income area and they did not take her seriously. Signs from the police department shows neglect after her daughter and niece, Sandra Smith and Nicole Childress, witnessed 14 year old, Konerak Sinthasomphone Konerak Sinthasomphonewandering in the streets naked. The boy portrayed signs of drug usage and was clearly not in the right mind to function. The Wisconsin police department was called but they unjustified the boy and sent him back to Dahmer even after witnessing his then physical state. Reflecting on this brings light that the police department picked and choose when they wanted to investigate a case and depending who or what it is, it was completely ignored. In my opinion , this demonstrates homophobia and racism because not only was Dahmer white and it was his word against 2 black young girls, but he was also gay. It is known that around the 70s up til’ now, people become unsure when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. But especially during this time HIV/AIDS were thriving through communities and it was controversial whether it was contagious by touch or not could have influenced the police minds about investigating Dahmer. This may be sensitive to some readers and intriguing to others, but my main goal is to try to inform those and shed light on the social issue than just Jeffrey Dahmer.  In my next couple of posts, I will be going in detail about each episode and mainly talking about how the justice system failed these poor young men with Dahmer. In fact, Dahmer would have not gotten this far if the Wisconsin Police Department tried to do their job instead of neglecting their duties all because it was a white man being accused.