Episode 2: Konerak Sinthasomphone

Hello guys, back again with another post on the series Monster: Jeffrey Dahmer. This post will be about episode two. It focused on Dahmer’s history as a child, how he got into being obsessive with dead bodies, watching his parents argue, also while having a drug addict for a mom. But this episode also focused on his 14-yr old victim, Konerak Sinthasomphone. I briefly talked about him in my first post, but in this post, I will go in detail about his murder and how the police reacted.

Briefly talking about Dahmer’s childhood, he was raised in a two parent house hold and had a sibling, David Dahmer. His mother was a drug addict who Dahmer seen overdose multiple times. I would say this contributed to his obsession because when you overdose, the body is in the state that it is dead, so it’s like seeing a dead body. This brought Dahmer to the idea of dead bodies and this is where he started to kill animals. In the episode he started with tadpoles that he had gave to his teacher and poured a substance in it that killed them. Having no reaction, this alarmed me that he showed signs of a psychopath here. Have you ever heard the saying that psychopaths show signs at early childhood ages if they kill animals? Yes that came straight to mind. But what was interesting is that his own father got him into cutting dead animal bodies and examining the body. His dad let him do it because since the household was very toxic, he was happy to see Dahmer interested in something. Here I wouldn’t blame the dad because he just wanted to see his son happy but he could have got him into something else rather than examining dead animals bodies, that could give the wrong thought. This was the starting of Dahmer’s psychotic reign and it fast forward to 1991 in Milwuakee with Dahmer meeting Konerak.

Dahmer meets Konerak outside of a liquor store and immidiately starts to target him. Dahmer asked Konerak questions like how old he was and implies that he would buy alcohol for him (setting his trap). Coming out with alcohol, he states that he wants to “party hardy” and insists the only way Konerak will get the acohol is if he goes home with him. Konerak is hesistant at first but Dahmer offers to pay him and Konerak emphasized he needed money for his family. This is the part that alarmed me because Konerak was with his friends and they didn’t think to stop him? Let alone let an older man buy illegal alcohol for him saying the only way he’ll get it is to go home with him. When they got to Dahmer’s place, Dahmer made it known that he knew Konerak was not an adult and asked him how old he was again. This is when Konerak informs him that he is 14 and Dahmer responds with “its cool, I won’t tell nobody.” Dahmer uses his usual procedure to trap his victims by giving him a drugged drink but before drinking it, Konerak tells Dahmer that he already knew who he was becauseof his brother, Somsack Sinthasomphone.

For an overview, Somsack was one of Dahmer’s earlier victim, being assaulted at the age of 13. But Dahmer was caught for this and was placed on the sex offender list and was currently on probation.

Konerak expressed he was only doing this for Dahmer because his family was in need and then he insisted for the money Dahmer promised. Dahmer resisted only giving him $23 out of the $100 that was said. Dahmer used the $23 as a deposit to secure Konerak into taking pictures so he could kill him. “Drink up” Dahmer repediately says to Konerak, pressuring him to drink.

*Sensitive Description* 

Once Konerak was drugged, Dahmer stripped him naked. He said things like “I’m gonna make you my zombie” and that he was gonna give him something like a lobotomy while bringing a bucket of hot water and acid.

Still drugged, Konerak attempted to escape while Dahmer wasn’t there. Being seen by Glenda’s daughter, he was asked if he was alright because he was stumbling in the hallway in only his underwear. If I saw this, I wouldn’t think he’s okay and I would bring him to my home and immediately call the police. The police met Konerak outside, and while Glenda was hysterical, Dahmer walked up with more alcohol in his hands. Telling the police that Konerak was his boyfriend, Glenda and her daughter were going back and forth that Konerak looked very young to be Dahmer’s boyfriend. They also emphasized that he clearly is under the influence. The police asked Konerak did he know Dahmer, but he was unresponsive leaving Dahmer the voice for him. The police asked him questions like how old he were and was he drinking but in my opinion if someone can barely walk and is curled up into a ball, I wouldn’t think they would be able to respond to me. This was the police jumping around the fact that it was clearly something wrong with him. They even let him go back with Dahmer after asking for ID and Dahmer claimed he “lost” it. Glenda tried to convince the cops something was wrong but they shut her down with “Lower the temperature…he says this is his boyfriend, we’ll handle it from here.” But in fact they didn’t handle nothing! They helped Dahmer bring Konerak back to his apartment and asked him questions that concerned his sexuality and his white privelage. They asked Dahmer why he lived in such a low income area if he was white and did they have any “weird” stuff in his apartment hinting towards homosexual things. Dahmer played the gay card very well showing him pictures he took with Konerak while he was passed out trying to show a relationship. The cops reacted in disgust and asked to look around but only inspected the doorway, nothing more! This was upsetting to me because the thought that someone can be so disgusted with someone else’s sexuality they ignore huge red flags is very unprofessional. The cops leave Dahmer but with the statement that they had to “go take showers” hinting towards they was exposed to too much “gay activity” for them. This left Konerak the next victim of Dahmer’s killings. These were clear signs that the Wisconsin Police Department neglected to help victims because of sexuality in this episode. All because Dahmer was gay he was ignored as a suspect with a little boy? That is completely unacceptable and we are supposed to rely on the police to help us! Ending on that note, this was one of many examples that showed the neglect of the Wisconsin Police Department, specifically in this case neglect because of sexual orientation.

Below is an imitation recording between Glenda and 911 checking up on Konerak to see what happened.

2 thoughts on “Episode 2: Konerak Sinthasomphone”

1. I’m curious where this took place. Where ever it did, I sure hope their police department has improved. The police make me so frustrated because if they could just have overlook someone’s race or sexual orientation for like 5 minutes they could have put a stop to Dahmer. I’m honestly surprised that Dahmer had so many victims because it seems like he was pretty sloppy. He let his first victim escape (for a moment) and also his last. I’m not familiar with all of his victims so I wonder if any others escape or if he manages to improve his “skills”.

2. Wow this is crazy. I am not one to read about crimes or murder, but I recognized this series from Netflix. It is hard to believe a Police Department would be so ignorant. Dahmer is such a bizarre murderer. He had so many signs and quirks that gave off “I am going to be a psychopath” vibes. It blows my mind that no one really did anything. Konerak and so many other lives could have been spared.