“Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone” By JK Rowling

Another week another classic! On this weeks installment of Daniella’s Book Blogs, i’m bringing ya’ll a synopsis and review of a book i hope you’ve at least seen the movie of, if not read as well. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone will forever take the cake as the first “big girl” book I got to read, so it’s only fair that it makes it onto the blog.

Synopsis- Living in a closet under the stairs at the house of his aunt and uncle, orphan Harry Potter’s life was at a seemingly all time low. However, on the night of his eleventh birthday, Harry learns that he is a wizard. A giant man named Hagrid crashes through the door and delivers Harry’s acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Despite his aunt and uncles best attempts to stamp the magic out of Harry and keep him in the dark, James and Lily Potter were two of the brightest wizards of their age. When Harry was a baby, an evil wizard named Voldemort murdered his parents and tried tokill him as well. No one quite knows how, but baby Harry survives, left with a scar in the shape of a lightning bolt on his forehead, he becomes known as the Boy-Who-Lived throughout the wizarding world.

After boarding the Hogwarts Express with the help of a wizarding family, the Weasleys, he becomes fast friends with classmate Ron Weasley. When they finally arrive at Hogwarts, a singing Sorting Hat places all the first years one of four different houses—Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw. The houses are respectively known for their bravery, cunning, loyalty, and intelligence, and Harry is placed in Gryffindor.

Through his time at Hogwarts, Harry not only learns things about himself he never knew, like his family legacy on the quidditch team, but also the impact he has held on the wizarding world without even knowing it, and the way that there ar

e some very powerful wizards still out to get him. Harry, Ron, and their friend Hermione all discover a three headed dog in one of the forbidden rooms one day, and make it their mission to figure out what exactly it’s protecting. The discovery of the guard dog in addition to some other strange occurrences, like a troll being let loose in the castle, leaves the trio wond

ering just what’s going on, and if a certain professor has anything to do with it.

They eventually decide to attempt getting past the dog, as they realize that it protects something very valuable, something that if put in the wrong hands could be detrimental to the wizarding world.  On their journey through the bewitched, the trio finds themselves met with countless obstacles, every one more dangerous than the prior. Eventually, Harry gets through to the final room, where he finds himself faced with the man who left him scared to begin with.

First Line- Mr.and Mrs.Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”

Last Line-  “I’m going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer . . .”

My Favorite Quote- “You’re a wizard, Harry.”

Rating- 10/10 a classic. That’s all I have to say about this book. It was the first long chapter book I ever read in elementary school, and I honestly only read it because of how many reading points it would give me on the quiz, but i’m so glad I did! It’s one of those books that no matter what genre you tend to sway towards, will get you hooked anyway. It’s pretty clear how it ends, evident by the 6 other books in the series that follow it, but nonetheless it’s a book I think everyone should read at least once, just so you can say you have.

2 thoughts on ““Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone” By JK Rowling

1. Although I have not read the books, I love Harry Potter. I watched a few of the movies when I was a kid and have always been a fan. You did a great job explaining the gyst of the book. I know Harry Potter books are normally really long, so I credit you for being able to explain everything in such a short blog. Nice job.

2. You’ve done a beautiful job at describing the book! I read the book as a child, and this blog just filled me up with absolute nostalgia! My favourite quote from the book is, “Strange how nearsighted being invisible can make you”. It was an amazing review. And I can proudly claim that I have read the book:)