“All Your Perfects” By Colleen Hoover

A weeklong break later and officially at the final book blog of the semester, I feel it’s only fair we return to the roots of this blog and closed out with possibly the heaviest Colleen Hoover novel i’ve read thus far. While we’ve explored pretty much every corner of Hoover’s writing, from mysterious, to full of comic relief, ‘All Your Perfects’ is one that will keep you hooked and pull at the heart strings like none other.

Synopsis- Opening with their dramatic meeting, “All Your Perfects” follows Quinn and her husband Graham through what began as a seemingly “perfect” love story. Their relationship was one straight out of the movies, until it wasn’t. As the novel alternates between “then” and “now” chapters, it follows Quinn and Graham thought the start of their relationship, making memories and building a strong connection, and their present relationship, recalling the memories, mistakes, and secrets that they have built up over the years, now tearing them apart day by day.

Between the “now” and “then”, Quinn finds out she’s not able to conceive, and it ruins her. Despite the fact that she loves her husband, she continues to fall into a depression due to her infertility, and keeps it bottled up inside, putting a wrench in her once perfect relationship as she isolates herself. As the novel continues its alternation between past and present, it deals with infertility, infidelity, depression, and an overall crumbling of what was once seen as perfection.

First Line- “The doorman didn’t smile at me.”

Last Line- “You have no idea what this smile means to me, Quinn. I’ve missed it so much.”

My Favorite Quote- “We’re all full of flaws. Hundreds of them. They’re like tiny holes all over our skin. And like your fortune said, sometimes we shine too much light on our own flaws. But there are some people who try to ignore their own flaws by shining light on other people’s to the point that the other person’s flaws become their only focus. They pick at them, little by little, until they rip wide open and that’s all we become to them. One giant, gaping flaw.”

Rating- 10/10 surprise surprise another perfect score for Colleen Hoover to close out our book blogging journey. I know that this synopsis is much shorter than past ones, but the way this book is structured makes every chapter a new twist or turn, full of spoilers and leaving you unable to put it down or really explain it without giving it all away. It deals with some pretty heavy topics, but has a heartwarming ending that makes all the frustration at fictional characters worth it. Definitely a must read if you you’ve enjoyed anything remotely similar to Colleen Hoover.

2 thoughts on ““All Your Perfects” By Colleen Hoover

1. Reading the fact that this would be the final book review for the semester made me feel nostalgic! and like all of the past reviews, this one again seems so perfect! I cannot even imagine how hard it must’ve been to write about a book that is loaded with spoilers without giving any of it away. And as always, your selection of your favourite quote always makes the book seem even more exhilarating.

2. I’ve actually heard of this book as one of my classmates in high school did a research project on it. You did a really good job describing the main parts of the book, as well as including other interesting parts of the book, such as your favorite book. Nice job.