Silence in Faith

This week, we’re taking the Passion Train (choo choo) down a more serious set of tracks. If you know anything about movies, you know that Martin Scorsese is basically regarded as immortal in the film community. Therefore, his self-proclaimed masterpiece must be equivalent to a cinematic Gospel. Scorsese’s masterpiece Silence is perhaps one of the most real, hard-hitting films that I’ve ever seen. Bringing principles, morals, and instinct into question, you’re in for one hell of a two hour and forty-one-minute ride.

Silence follows two Catholic priests on a quest for one of their fathers in the incredibly anti-Christian territory of Japan. Rather than leaving him for dead, the two priests believe that God has called them to seek him out and bring him home. In the process, they attract a small following of Japanese Catholics, whom they attempt to protect as the movie progresses. If discovered, torture, death, and public humiliation awaited. Or, worst of all, a forced public renouncing of one’s faith.

Various characters find themselves in the aforementioned position throughout the film. The Japanese Inquisitor and his team would present a stone carving of Jesus and the Virgin Mary and ask the party in question to step on it or die. Obviously, this puts a believer in an impossible dilemma; or does it? Especially for a Catholic priest, willingly dying as a martyr might be considered the most honorable way to go. Plus, wouldn’t the opportunity to get to Heaven sooner mean nothing but good things?

Unfortunately, such is not the case in the film. Father Ferreria, the father being searched for, is eventually found and has renounced his faith in God. He discusses this upon his discovery at the hands of Father Rodrigues, who is still wrestling with whether or not to step on the stone. Eventually, he does it, but keeps his Christian beliefs a secret. The only person to be truly faithful throughout the film, in my mind, is Kichijiro, who steps on the stone multiple times, but seeks reconciliation immediately afterwards. In fact, Kichijiro sneaks into the prison camp where Rodrigues is being held multiple times just to seek out a confession.

Although everything in Scorsese’s films are coated in complex symbolism, the message to be taken from this film is not so much a lesson, but a question. Scorsese literally asks the viewer: what would you do? Spit in your God’s face, or save your own life? He presents the image of the Jesus/Mary stepping stone almost a dozen times so the viewer is forced to think again and again about his or her eventual action. Now, it’s nearly impossible to predict the action that we would take when put into this situation. However, that’s exactly how Scorsese wants it to be…because that’s how Jesus wants it to be.

Regardless of whether or not faith is renounced, this movie sends the message that Jesus died for everyone – even the Inquisitor who spent his life trying to eradicate Christians. Explored through one of Christianity’s strictest denominations, this point somehow shines brighter than all of the others, making this film and its ending all the more special.

One thought on “Silence in Faith

1. Mitchell, I really admire the premise of this post, as well as the focus of your blog in its entirety. Although I have of course heard of the great Martin Scorsese, I have not (that I can recall) heard of this film. From your summary and analysis of it, it seems like I have missed out by not having seen it! Although I am not particularly religious, I can still appreciate the grounds of the plot. Although the proposed questions and dilemma is based on faith, this can easily be applied to any other belief anyone might have. Often times, our beliefs and values are tested, especially those that may be greatly controversial. We find ourselves faced with going against our belief to protect another aspect of ourself, or standing up for our beliefs but putting ourself at risk. Overall, I think this movie sounds like one I should definitely see!
    -Eva Ragonese