Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snub #2: Wings

There’s no doubt that the Beatles were one of the most prolific and influential artists of all time. Of course, a huge reason for that success was the classic songwriting duo of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. After the band’s breakup, both Lennon and McCartney would go on to have successful solo careers. Lennon’s career was tragically cut short, but McCartney continued to make great music for forty years and is still performing to this day. In 1999, McCartney was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist. However, this induction is a bit dubious for one reason: McCartney’s backing band from the ’70s, Wings, was not inducted alongside him. Without Wings, McCartney may have never found the same success that he did as a “solo” artist.

Related image
The classic Wings trio, consisting of (from left to right) Linda McCartney, Paul McCartney, and Denny Laine.

In 1970, McCartney released his first album, entitled McCartney, an album made entirely by just McCartney himself. The album featured a few of his most popular songs, including the ever popular “Maybe I’m Amazed.” The record features plenty of highlights, but McCartney would really burst onto the scene in 1971 with Ram, thanks to songwriting help from his wife Linda. Ram featured McCartney’s first U.S. #1 in “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.” Later in 1971, McCartney would recruit the assistance of Denny Laine, and thus, the classic Wings trio was formed.

Throughout Wings’ ten-year run, the band’s lineup would change constantly, but the core group of McCartney, McCartney, and Laine would remain consistent.

Wings was quite productive during the 1970s, releasing seven studio albums (three of which hit #1 in the U.S.), one triple live album, and a greatest hits album. Perhaps the best album of this run is 1973’s Band on the Run, somewhat of a concept album which includes many of McCartney’s most beloved tunes, including “Jet,” “Let Me Roll It,” and the title track. As for singles, six would reach #1 in the U.S. The first of these was 1973’s “My Love,” a McCartney-penned tune that was written as a tribute to Linda. Other #1’s would include “Band on the Run,” “Listen to What the Man Said,” “Silly Love Songs,” “With a Little Luck,” and a live version of “Coming Up.” As for the U.K., Wings’ only #1 was the Scottish tribute “Mull of Kintyre,” which remains one of the best-selling U.K. singles to this day. Perhaps the most notable Wings tune is “Live and Let Die,” released on the soundtrack album for the James Bond film of the same name.

Wings would break up by the end of the decade, and McCartney would continue a successful solo career, but he may have never gotten there without the assistance of Linda and Denny Laine.

Of course, McCartney earned his rightful spot in the Rock Hall in 1999, but Denny Laine and Linda McCartney did not receive the same honor. Unfortunately, Linda had died a year prior due to breast cancer, and still has not been inducted into the Hall. Denny Laine finally received recognition in 2018 when he was inducted as a founding member of the British rock band the Moody Blues.

I think it’s only fair to have Laine and Linda McCartney recognized for their contributions to music alongside Paul. Hopefully, the rest of Wings will receive Hall of Fame recognition one day in the future.

Just like last time, I’ll leave you with a list of five of my favorite Wings songs:

1. “Junior’s Farm”
  2. “Helen Wheels”
  3. “Jet”
  4. “Silly Love Songs”
  5. “Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five”

18 comments

1. Corina Kaiser

I love Paul McCartney! To be fair, I don’t know much of his solo music, I know more music with Wings (and the Beatles of course). I was actually able to see him perform two summers ago with his band, they were fantastic! I really like their song “Band on the Run”.

2. David Alan Kast

Wings is a great band worthy of being in the R AND R HALL OF FAME and I don’t understand the question as to wether they should be in there. Other songs I thought were great were Venus And Mars Rock Show and Let em in!!!… They contributed so much in the decade and I still play those albums…. Hopefully someone will pull their head out and figure out they have a place in the hall!!!

3. Rick Nicholson

It’s typical of the Hall of Fame. They fail to recognize bands like wings and groups like the carpenters all the time. Look how long it took to put the Moody Blues in.

4. Bob Ash

Wings were phenomenal , Once they began rolling. A 1970’s powerhouse. In my opinion, the addition of Jimmy McCulloch and Joe English made them bulletproof.. They were able to compete with their contemporaries. They deserve to be inducted in the Hall of Fame.

5. Daniel E Bortz

*** WINGS, WITHOUT A DOUBT, SHOULD BE IN THE HALL OF FAME. Why they’re not? They should have gone in 30 years ago ***

6. Phill

Band on the Run is truly one of the great post Beatles trifecta albums…. the others are Harrison’s All Things Must Pass and Lennon’s Imagine. This alone makes it a huge snub.

7. Helen Wheels

I think Wings is worthy of the Hall, but it’s worth noting that Denny Laine doesn’t. He says it was more of a McCartney project than an actual band, and is already covered by his solo induction.

8. Kris

Please Wings was a very successful band in their own right. Wings was the second band Paul would start with Denny and his wife Linda being the bands core elements. I believe one day enough people in the RRHF’s board will recognize this achievement and vote them in as they deserve. After all haven’t they met all the requirements laid out by the RRHF.

9. Max Power

If Blind Faith is in for 1 mediocre album, not to mention the many mediocre bands and solo acts that are in then Wings should definitely be in.

10. Bruce

I can’t believe Wings is not in the R&R HOF. That is a joke! So many great albums “Band on the run”, “Speed of Sound”, “Venus & Mars” – just name a few. Talk about a snub. My Lord!

11. Shawn russell

It’s a no brained. Wings should be in. Some of the more recent inductees couldn’t hold a candle to Paul McCartney and Wings.

12. William A Peachey

All wings members should be grandfathered in to the Hall of Fame just because of who they played with. Paul McCartney

13. John U

As much as I love Paul, Linda, Denny. “Wings” was essentially a pseudonym for Paul McCartney. Can anyone name Wings hit written by anyone other than Paul McCartney? Paul is also notoriously controlling in the studio. Not a lot of opportunity for anyone’s creative except Paul’s. That’s not a dig at Paul. That’s just the way it was. When younger, Paul always loved the idea of being in a band more than being solo. Wings was just an illusion of a band.

• Paul Stanford

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! That;s like saying CCR is a pseudonym ofr John Fogerty or The Who is a pseudonym for Pete Townshend. What does the fact that one member was the creative force and primary writer have to do with anything?? Did you see “Rock Show”? That, my friend is a BAND! An incredible, kick ass rock and roll band. The fact that they are not in that pathetic hall is a joke! But about par for the course. As noted above Blind Faith is in for one lousy album! The Zombies for two. The list of acts unworthy of induction goes on and on and on and the list of very worthy acts not in is jaw-dropping…

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>