Where I’m From

I’m from the city that sleeps

Empty roads after the clock strikes ten

I’m from catching crawfish in the afternoon

The land of cricks and creeks, not streams or brooks

I’m from slang like Yin’s and J’eatyet 

Originating in the city of bridges and steel

I’m from the big game on Sunday

Watching the tiny TV from the corduroy recliner 

I’m from rolling hills and spanning farmland

Winding gravel roads and pretty mountains

I’m from waving to all of the township workers

The friends that make our roads safe in the winter

I’m from the locally-owned daycare

Sun up to sun down on the rubber playground

I’m from waking up at five on the weekend

Just to see one doe if I’m lucky

I’m from Nana, Dre Dre, and DD

I have grown every time I see them

I’m from waiting for hours near the water

So I can come home with a full stringer

I’m from splitting firewood for the week

So we can huddle around the warmth and have a good time

I’m from playing Kings in the Corner

Somehow my sister always has the right cards

I’m from family game nights

When I was excited to dress up like a princess

I’m from four different Christmases 

Seeing so many different family members

I’m from throwing knives and a propane space heater

A cluttered garage with endless trinkets but no cars

I’m from gas stations like Good Guys and Sheetz

They seem to have anything we could ever want

I’m from a disappointing mall

That held so much wonder in the past

I’m from swimming pools in the summer

Being told to reapply but never listening

I’m from the most important family and friends

Who are all, here and passed, near and dear to me

For my “This I Believe”, I think I’m going to go with a topic that was not previously discussed. I want the title to be “I believe in Funerals”. For some backstory, my dad passed away about 2 years ago in an accident and it was a very big shock to everyone. I mean I could barely comprehend what had just happened. I was just in shock for several days and I just wanted left alone for a while. But then I was being dragged to a viewing and Funeral. It all seemed so unfair. Why would I want to stand with all of my grieving family members and have people come up to us and say that they are sorry. Long story short, it was such a helpful experience. Just seeing that so many people came, people I’ve never even met before saying how my dad impacted them in amazing ways. There was just so much support. So many laughs and cries shared together. It blew my expectations out of the water and helped me through the grieving process. I want to tell that story because I think if anyone else is ever in my shoes, they could know what to expect and get the best out of the funeral.

For my Passion Blog, I think I want to try to explain what living with ADHD is like. I would love for others to learn what it is actually like because it is often misrepresented. It could also help me learn a bit more about the ADHD and how I can more effectively handle it.

For my Civic Blog, I would like to focus on sustainability for sure. I think specifically, alternative energy as that is a topic I’ve done a lot of research on, and I am passionate about the switch to Nuclear.

2 thoughts on “Where I’m From

1. Your poem is awesome! I knew right away that you’re from Pittsburgh because I am too, and I could imagine many of the things you talked about that a lot of people here at Penn State don’t really understand. I also really like your “This I Believe” topic. Although it is very personal and a sad lesson to learn, the positivity that you are able to grasp from the situation will make it a very impactful podcast. For your passion blog, I’m glad you went with this idea, not only because it is interesting but also because it can help those who read it understand ADHD a little better. I like your civic ideas topic and I am definitely biased towards nuclear as well because my mom happens to be a nuclear engineer. Overall, great job and I look forward to more of your work!

2. I love your poem, because it gives me a comprehensive image of how you grew up. I’m also from family game nights, and my sister always wins too! It’s a curse! Your description of Pittsburgh reminds me of where I grew up in Illinois, just outside of Chicago. Also, I love your new TIB topic because it’s definitely very personal to you and the story will be quite moving and provocative. Looking forward to hearing it!