Common Misconceptions about ADHD

It is time to get into the fun part, the phycological and mental effects of ADHD. But, there is a bit of a problem: there are many myths and misconceptions about ADHD that should be cleared up. Before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I believed many of these so now that I know better, I want to debunk these myths.

To start, the most common misconception about ADHD is that you can not focus if you have it. This is commonly the way media represents it, which makes sense because most kids are diagnosed because they have trouble paying attention in school. In reality, people with ADHD can focus, and maybe too well. I say this because those with ADHD usually end up focusing on the wrong thing; for example, instead of focusing on school and homework, I would hyperfixate on video games because they provide me with stimulation and dopamine, which my brain lacks without medication. 

Remember how I said most kids are diagnosed because of problems focusing during school? Well that is where another big myth comes in: ADHD is only a problem in childhood. This can sometimes seem like the case because of how ADHD changes throughout one’s life. Some people age and their symptoms disappear, some get less severe symptoms, and some stay the same way. As we age, we gain willpower and control over ourselves so usually, adults with ADHD will not be overly hyperactive externally.

Another misconception is that boys get ADHD more severely and more commonly than girls. This one, based off of data alone seems accurate. Young girls get diagnosed with ADHD around 2.5x (Child Mind Institute) less than young boys. However, the diagnoses by adulthood between men and women are almost equal. Why is this? Well, young girls are underdiagnosed when compared to boys. This is most likely due to the effects ADHD has on young boys are more externally obvious than it is on young girls.

There are many more misconceptions about ADHD but these are some main ones that I held before becoming more educated on ADHD. I hope I cleared up some of these misconceptions for you and I hoped you learned a little. See you next time!

3 thoughts on “Common Misconceptions about ADHD

1. This post is super interesting! I didn’t realize that ADHD improved so much with age, which is great news. I like how you organized the post with photos to relate the content to. Definitely an easy read, and I can’t wait to see what else you write!

2. I’ve heard of many of these misconceptions and why they’re not necessarily true. I think the statistics about gender are most interesting because my brother was diagnosed with ADHD at young age, but my sister wasn’t diagnosed until she tested herself in adulthood. That’s a prime example of how the same symptoms are spotted more in young boys than girls.

3. I didn’t know about a lot of these misconceptions and statistics about ADHD. The one pertaining to the myth that people with ADHD can’t focus. It makes more sense to view people with ADHD as focusing on the wrong things instead of just not being able to focus their mind on something. Gaining a better understanding of how people with ADHD think leads to better treatment.