Foo Fighters: But Here We Are

But Here We Are” By Foo Fighters - Theres No Getting Over ItMTV VMAs 2021: Foo Fighters to Receive First-Ever U.S. Global Icon Award |  Pitchfork

Usually I use this passion blog to focus on musical artists that I’m not well versed with, and I usually will listen to their albums and songs and then write about it. For this weeks passion blog however, I will be taking a different approach. This week, I will be talking about one of my favorite bands, the Foo Fighters, and their newly released album entitled “But Here We Are”.

I was first introduced to the Foo Fighters during freshman year of high school. At the time, I had heard about them before but I never tried listening to them. After my friend convinced me to give them a listen, I was instantly hooked. Songs like “Everlong”, “These Days”, “Times Like These”, and “My Hero” stood out to me right away. When I first listened to them, I instantly noticed how complex the melodic structure of the songs were. The Foo Fighters play with three guitarists, which is pretty unusual in modern music. However, this creates amazing guitar harmonies and overall better sounding songs. One thing is love about the Foo Fighters is the frontman Dave Grohl. Grohl is in my opinion, one of the greatest musicians of all time. He is not only the guitarist, singer, and songwriter for the Foo Fighters, but he was also the drummer for Nirvana, one of the biggest bands of all time. His drumming for Nirvana was special, and was a key factor to their huge success in the early 90s. But after the tragic passing of Kurt Cobain in 1994, he then goes on to create the Foo Fighters, where he has been for the past 25-plus years. One thing that is really special about Dave Grohl is his voice. Some may say that he has the voice of an angel. I personally think that he is one of the best frontmen of all time, with his amazing singing and overall performance.

In March of 2022, Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins tragically passed away. Hawkins was a key factor to the band’s success and was one of the best drummers in the world. Throughout his tenure in the band, there was never an interview with Dave Grohl that didn’t feature Hawkins by his side. Their friendship was special and it was prevalent whenever the band was on stage. After Hawkins death, the band’s future was very uncertain. However, in memory of Taylor Hawkins, the band released an album in 2023 called “But Here We Are”, which was dedicated to his memory. After giving it a full listen, I think that it is one of the band’s best albums, going up there with albums like “The Color and the Shape”, “There is Nothing Left to Lose”, and “Wasting Light”.  One track that stood out to me was “Rest”, which is a perfect tribute to Hawkins. Tracks “Rescued” and “Under You” stood out to me as well and are really well-made songs. I definitely recommend the Foo Fighters to anyone who is looking for new music to listen to.