Fishing Trip

To wrap up my collection of blog entries, I want to talk about a story that doesn’t necessarily have any glaring or shocking details but however touches upon basic lessons that I have learned and used ever since. The story begins when I was in elementary school, either third or fourth grade. My dad rented a small boat for the day so we could take it out on water to fish. The boat was very small and could only fit the two of us and maybe one or two more people. We left the dock early in the morning in anticipation of being out on the water for most of the day. This fishing trip wasn’t just a fun experience that I spent with my father, but it taught me many lessons about the outdoors, and also many basic life lesson. Many of these tips became useful for things like camping, which I have blogged about in the past.

I remember the first thing my dad said to me when we left the shore was how to hold the rod, how to attach the lure, and how to cast and catch the fish. This fishing trip was my first time out on a boat to fish, so you can imagine the pure excitement that I had as a young person. I was filled with joy when I caught my first fish, and I felt like I had not only accomplished something, but I also made my dad proud. All of this excitement came crumbling down however when my dad told me that I had to toss the fish back into the water. I remember being so confused as to why I couldn’t keep the fish, but obviously that rule is in place for a reason and I was just too young to understand at that point.

Along with all of our fishing supplies, my father also brought a small Foreman grill on the boat. My dad showed me how to cook on the grill that day, as it was my first chance to be able to cook something at that point in my life. We brought a pack of pork roll, eggs, and bagels. He showed me how to cook the pork roll and how to make scrambled eggs on the grill, and while I tried, I will say that eight year old me was not well versed behind the grill. I was ecstatic that he showed me how to cook that though, because I’ve been making the same pork roll and egg sandwich for myself ever since.

I’m extremely grateful for all of the life lessons that my father has taught me over the course of my life. My dad has taught me everything that I know, and I wouldn’t be where I am today without him. I urge everyone to listen to what their parents tell them. Sometimes we may not want to listen, but whatever they have to say will always benefit you.