FYE: Overwhelmed is an Understatement

Do I really have time to sleep? Or watch the Bachelorette on Monday nights with my friends? What about food, do I get to eat? I’m afraid that right now those will all be put on the back burner until I figure out HOW I’m going to possibly balance a social life, school, a job, and leisure.

After my first really day of classes, I can honestly say that college is no joke! Am I loving it? Absolutely! Is it a lot more than I had originally thought? Yes. Am I upset about this? Not in the slightest. In fact, I’m kind of relieved. As much I LOATHE being overwhelmed and stressed, I truly think it is preparing me for the real world. High school taught me many things, but I’ve learned more in this past week at college than I did all of my senior year of high school.

High school was all about “completion points” and “extended deadlines” which at the time were the greatest things to ever happen to me. But looking back on it, these “blessings” did nothing to entice me to actually work hard. I was by no means a slacker in high school but never did any more work than I absolutely needed to. I now realize that won’t fly in college. As much as I wish I would have known this a week ago when I moved in, I’m actually kind of glad I figured it out the hard way. It gives me more incentive to work hard and achieve me goals.

Every now and then (actually more often than not) I find myself wanting to de-stress. I enjoy working out but have recently felt guilty for going to the gym when I have so many other pressing matters. Thankfully I’ve found some less time consuming ways to de-stress that will actually help me lead a more positive lifestyle.

I’m so incredibly grateful to have this opportunity to further my education. I think of how so many people didn’t get to go to college and I feel so blessed to be able to wake up everyday stressed but motivated to push myself beyond my limits and reach my goals. 

stressed-simpson

Comments

1. Overwhelmed. That is a great word that probably describes 99.5% of the students in LEAP. But, you wouldn’t trade it for the world would you ? Just think only about 30.5% of the U.S. has a college degree.

Speak Your Mind