Call for Presentations
The Research and Statistics Committee of the Reference Services Section of RUSA invites the submission of research projects for presentation at the 15th Reference Research Forum at the 2009 American Library Association Annual Conference in Chicago, IL.
The Reference Research Forum continues to be one of the most popular and valuable programs during the ALA Annual Conference, where attendees can learn about notable research projects conducted in the broad area of reference services such as user behavior, electronic services, reference effectiveness, and organizational structure and personnel. All researchers, including reference practitioners from all types of libraries, library school faculty and students, and other interested individuals, are encouraged to submit a proposal.
For examples of projects presented at past Forums, please see the Committee’s website: http://tinyurl.com/rssresearch
The Committee employs a “blind” review process to select two projects for 25 minute presentations, followed by open discussion. Winning submissions must be presented in person at the Forum in Chicago.
Criteria for selection:
• Quality and creativity of the research design and methodologies;
• Significance of the study for improving the quality of reference service;
• Potential for research to fill a gap in reference knowledge or to build on previous studies;
• Research projects may be in-progress or completed;
• Previously published research or research accepted for publication will not be accepted
Proposals are due by Monday, January 5, 2009. Notification of acceptance will be made by Friday, March 20, 2009. The submission must not exceed two pages. Please include:
1. A cover sheet including your name(s), title(s), institutional affiliation(s), mailing address(es), fax number(s) and email address(es).
2. The second page should NOT show your name, any personal information, or the name of your institution. Instead, it must include:
a. Title of the project;
b. Explicit statement of the research problem;
c. Description of the research design and methodologies used;
d. Brief discussion of the unique contribution, potential impact, and significance of the research.
Please send submissions by email to:
Chair, RUSA RSS Research and Statistics Committee