Paul Evan Peters Fellowship (Coalition for Networked Information)

The Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) announces the 2010 Paul Evan Peters Fellowship
Applications due by April 23, 2010
The Paul Evan Peters Fellowship was established to honor and perpetuate the memory of CNI’s founding executive director.  The fellowship is awarded every two years to a student pursuing graduate studies in librarianship, the information sciences, or a closely related field, who demonstrates intellectual and personal qualities consistent with those of Paul Evan Peters, including:
–commitment to use of digital information and advanced technology to enhance scholarship, intellectual productivity and public life;
–interest in the civic responsibilities of information professionals and a commitment to democratic values;
–positive and creative approach to overcoming personal, technological, and bureaucratic challenges, and
–humor, vision, humanity, and imagination.
The fellowship is in the amount of $5000 per year, to be awarded two consecutive years to a student in a graduate program.
“The characteristics that have often been associated with Paul–positivity, creativity, humor, vision, humanity, and imagination–are, I hope, dimensions that I also bring to the work that I do as a scholar and as a teacher, ” wrote Philip Edwards, 2004 fellowship recipient and a faculty member at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, School of Information and Library Science.  Edwards credits the award with helping to broaden his professional horizons as a student:  “Because of this funding, I was able to travel to conferences which I would have otherwise been unable to attend, and the interactions I had among other researchers and practitioners at these gatherings have been more valuable than I could have ever imagined.”  
Cal Lee, who received the first Peters Fellowship, is currently Assistant Professor at the School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, where he teaches classes for graduate and undergraduate students, as well as continuing professional education workshops, in a variety of subjects, including archival administration, records management, digital curation, understanding information technology for managing digital collections, and the construction of digital repository rules. 
More information about the Paul Evan Peters Fellowship and the application process are available at http://www.cni.org/pepfellowship/.
***********************************************
Diane Goldenberg-Hart
Communications Coordinator
Coalition for Networked Information
21 Dupont Circle, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
202-296-5098
202-872-0884 (Fax)