CALL FOR PAPERS (CHAPTERS)
As the editor for the upcoming and quite exciting set of four volumes, VIOLENCE AND ABUSE IN SOCIETY:ACROSS TIME AND NATIONS (to be published by Praeger-Greenwood/ABC-CLIO), I am pleased to request, from violence and abuse research, treatment, history, legal and policy specialists around the world, as well as from others whose work touches the topics listed below, chapters for:
VIOLENCE AND ABUSE IN SOCIETY: UNDERSTANDING A GLOBAL CRISIS
Volume 1: HISTORY, ISSUES, AND CONCEPTS
Volume 2: CONTEXTS, POPULATIONS, AND NATIONS
Volume 3: CONDITIONS, CHARACTERISTICS, AND CONSEQUENCES
Volume 4: APPROACHES, TREATMENTS, AND HEALING
These chapters should be sent in as follows, with no exceptions:
* Only one, two or three authors per chapter please. Contributors may upon approval submit more than one chapter.
* Each separate chapter is to be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word, (by email ONLY, sent as an email attachment),
with all chapter authors’ names and FULL contact information and job title listed on the chapter cover page, emailed to Dr. Angela Browne-Miller at DoctorAngela@aol.com
• Label the Microsoft Word file containing your chapter with the last name of the first author, then first three words of chapter title (e.g., BrowneViolenceinFamily.doc), with the file name taking this form only: First author’s last name, first three words of chapter title.doc, (another e.g., SmithAbuseinEastern.doc)
* Any and all visuals (diagrams, tables, figures, photos, illustrations, graphics) should have a figure number and be referred to in the text of your chapter by figure number. These visuals must be submitted according to the publisher’s requirements for formatting and file type (which we will make available prior to your submitting the chapter itself). Any of these visuals that are not created by the author her or himself must arrive with a separate file containing permission to use, with the requirements for such permission being provided you prior to submission of your chapter.
* Use 12 point Times New Roman font ONLY for all chapter text and references, and double space all parts of the chapter and
references. One inch margins on top, bottom, left and right. Number pages at the bottom of each page, no headers please,
only footers identifying first author, chapter title and page number.
* If you are going to be submitting more than one chapter, each chapter must be sent in by a separate email, in its own
Microsoft Word file, attached to its own separate email. Please put chapter’s first author last name and first three words of chapter title in subject line of email.
* Chapters must be written in English and already well-edited prior to submission.
* Use APA style including APA style references and citations within text, i.e., (Browne, 1999, p.4).
* From 4,000 to 7,000 words (although longer may be approved) (contact Dr. Browne-Miller).
* Addressing an audience which is a combination of “educated lay reader” (at least two years of college), scholars and
professionals, who may or may not be working within your own field/s.
* Using a minimum of jargon, as readers are likely not to be working in your field, and, where used, jargon and terms should be defined clearly for readers.
* Accompanied by a separate file containing your full name, job title, job location, all your contact information, AND a short
(120-150 word) bio for each author (if more than one) or the author (if one). Label this file with your last name and then the word bio (e.g. BrowneBio.doc). Please structure your bio according to the bio model you will be sent once your chapter
topic and title is accepted. If you are going to be submitting more than one bio (where you have more than one author for your chapter), each bio must be sent in in its own Microsoft Word file and labeled with the person’s last name following the word bio (another e.g., SmithBio.doc)
Response and chapter TOPIC DUE DATE IS JUNE 15, 2010 OR SOONER for this round of contributors (this call for
chapters goes out in several rounds). AGAIN, THE CHAPTER TOPIC IS DUE BY THIS DATE, NOT THE CHAPTER
ITSELF. Send the chapter topic in in an email written the following way, with Chapter Topic Proposal in the subject line,email addressed to Dr. Browne-Miller at:DoctorAngela@aol.com Email should read, “I write to submit a chapter topic and tentative title for the VIOLENCE AND ABUSE IN SOCIETY set of volumes. The topic is —–, the proposed title is —-, the author or authors are —-, and the FULL contact information (phone, email, fax, postal mailing address) for EACH OF THE AUTHORS is……
CHAPTER DUE DATE IS September 15, 2010 for round of contributors (this call for chapters goes out in several
rounds). (Complete chapter with all references should be submitted by this date. Earlier is appreciated. A brief chapter due date extension may be possible upon advance request.) PLEASE ASK FOR BRIEF DATE EXTENSION IF NEEDED.
I thank you for your interest in this exciting project which will be distributed internationally,
Angela Browne-Miller, PhD, DSW, MPH, MSW, Set Editor
Violence & Abuse in Society: Across Time & Nations