CALL FOR PROPOSALS NOW OPEN!!!
Submit proposals here: https://goo.gl/forms/lBf3NchJGU98pelJ3
The Makerspaces for Innovation and Research in Academics (MIRA) conference planning Committee seeks proposals for its second annual conference at University of La Verne, La Verne, CA on July 10-11, 2019.
The MIRA Conference seeks to bring together a group of makers, librarians, educators and practitioners for a day of presentations, workshops, discussions and networking. We encourage participation from all types of libraries, institutions and organizations.
Sessions can include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
· How to set up a makerspace (costs, safety, staffing, training, location, value and buy-in, etc.)
· How universities and schools are facilitating learning through making (hands-on training, integration into the curriculum, etc.)
· Role of makerspaces in libraries and museums
· How makerspaces inspire innovation and entrepreneurship (prototyping, disruptive technologies)
· Future directions of makerspaces in education
· Maker projects and concepts relating to machine learning, artificial intelligence, virtual reality and augmented reality
· Environmental effects of makerspaces and systems put in place to reduce impact
· Assessment of makerspaces and making
· Using makerspaces to create partnerships
· Civic and community engagement in makerspaces
Session Types (Active learning and interactive sessions are encouraged):
· Pre-Conference Workshop (3 hours): An in-depth, interactive, hands-on, deeper and thorough exploration of a topic. Presenter will need to
bring their own equipment and supplies.
· Workshop (45 mins): A hands-on training session. Presenter will need to bring their own equipment and supplies.
· Lightning Talk (5 mins): A 5 minute session to share a quick overview of your ideas, experience, and programs.
· Presentation (20/45 mins): A session that can include ideas, experiences, original research, engaging discussion questions or activities.
· Roundtable Discussion (45 mins): A session that offers conversations in a casual, round table setting.
· Panel Discussion (45 mins) : A session that brings together 2-5 presenters into a cohesive conversation intended to engage audience members.
· Makerspace Exhibit (30 mins): A session that offers an opportunity to showcase your makerspace and its programming and services in an informal setting.
Proposal Submission Deadline: Feb 19, 2019
Notification of Acceptance: April 15 2019
Conference Registration Opens: Mar 18, 2019
If you have any questions, contact Vinaya Tripuraneni, Planning Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.