Pre-Convention Journal Symposium on Formative Design and Design Thinking
Sunday, October 20 and Monday October 21, 2019
Westgate Resort and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
CALL FOR PAPERS now live until June 15, 2019
Held in conjunction with the Annual International Convention of the Association for Educational Communications & Technology (AECT),
October 21-24, 2019, Las Vegas, Nevada
- the Journal of Formative Design in Learning (JDFL),
- the College of Education at Florida Gulf Coast University,
- the College of Community Innovations and Education at University of Central Florida,
- the Office of Scholarship and Innovation, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University
Design thinking has been receiving attention in education as a set of strategies applicable to student learning, teacher development, and educational innovation. There is a clear need for scholarly and practical evidence and examples of educational approaches that bring design into education particularly in regard to formative design. The goal of this symposium is to bring together scholars interested in the role of formative design and design thinking in a collaborative discussion and peer-review process to develop potential submissions for the Journal of Formative Design in Learning (JFDL). While the focus of this symposium is on design thinking and how it relates to formative design, we are open to various approaches, tools, processes, and ways of viewing and applying formative design and design thinking in teaching and learning.
Specifically, the symposium will seek to accomplish the following:
- To discuss and share a dialog about the current state of formative design and design thinking in teaching and learning.
- To provide an opportunity for potential authors who submit a plan of work of a draft of a potential journal submission and presented in a small group setting, in order to receive valuable feedback for crafting their forthcoming work.
- To participate in world caf roundtables to review full drafts from authors of planned submissions to the journal.
Note: Both the abstracts and article drafts should be explicitly focused on or deeply involved with the topics of formative design and design thinking. All submissions to the symposium will be considered for expedited review by JFDL once submissions are finalized and returned through normal submission channels.
- June 15, 2019: Abstracts and article drafts due.
- July 15, 2019: Authors of papers accepted for discussion notified.
- July 31, 2019: All papers available for attendee review. It is expected that all symposium attendees will review all submitted papers in order to actively participate in the discussions and roundtable reviews.
- October 20-21, 2019: Symposium: The discussions will be guided and facilitated by members of the editorial board from JDFL and faculty from all three universities.
- October 20, 2-5 PM: discussions on formative design and design thinking as well as review and discussions of abstracts or work-products of those who have submitted these written artifacts prior to the symposium.
- October 21, 8:30AM 4PM: Participants who submit their drafts prior to the symposium will have their works reviewed in roundtable format by others who have also submitted as well as other who agree to participate in the sessions.
- Specifics about submission requirements and more details about the symposium can be found on the journals support site: http:formativedesign.org, which will be made available by March 1, 2019.
Symposium fee: $150 (Registration includes continental breakfast and refreshment break on Sunday and Monday).
For more information go to https://www.aect.org/jfdl_symposium.php
For more information, including how to sign up for the Pre-Conference, please contact:
Dr. Robert Kenny, Editor-in-Chief, JFDL e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org