EA 872 Blog Entry 8

Blog Entry 8

Dominic Patruno

I have been in China for the past week doing assessments on our Infrastructure.  My biggest take away so far is the need for a current architecture that everyone can understand and also refer to.  We  have been ramping up more manufacturing and due to the time constraints, teams have building out system very quickly to accommodate business needs and customer requests.  What this has caused is what I will call a configuration drift.  Configuration drift is minor changes in the configuration and d delivery of systems.  This is not really an issue initial, but over time can become a significant change.  This has the potential to cause problems down the road as all of the decision making and updating to the architecture will be made based on the current documentation.  If areas have made modifications to the architecture and system delivery and these modifications have not been captured, then when changes to the architecture are needed, they will be difficult to implement because the real state of the environment will not be fully known.

Lack of documentation and proper training can cause so many issues, but can be corrected very easy with proper awareness training and publishing the many views documentation.