The Strange Situation Test

It is almost impossible to remember what we were like when we were babies due to infantile amnesia but if you were to ask your parents how you were in terms of attachment, you would be classified as one of three answers. These answers come from the famous experiment that I am currently learning about in my developmental psychology class. This experiment is known as ‘the strange situation test.’

This experiment was performed by Mary Ainsworth in 1967. The experiments lasted no more than a half hour and included the participants of a baby between the age of 12 and 18 months, the mother/ caregiver, and a stranger. The situation began with the mother, baby, and stranger entering a small room with a one-way glass mirror (to observe.) The mother would then be instructed to exit the room, leaving the baby alone with the stranger. After a period of time, the mother would return to the room. This reunion was a critical moment in the observation process in order to see how the baby reacted to the return of its mother.

With the observation, it was concluded that there are three types of attachment: secure, ambivalent, and avoidant. Secure attachment was proved when the baby was distressed when the mother left, and happy when she returned. Ambivalent attachment was proved when the baby was somewhat distressed when the mother left, and resistant when she returned. Avoidant attachment was proved when the baby was not distressed when the mother left, and showed no interest when she returned.

These attachment styles were also measured by the way the baby reacted with the stranger when the mother was not present in the room. If the baby was avoidant of the stranger when alone but friendly when the mother was present, the baby would be classified under secure. If the baby showed fear or anger towards the stranger, then the baby would be classified as ambivalent. Lastly, if the baby was okay and playful towards the stranger at all points in the experiment, the baby would be classified as avoidant.

Within the experiment, 70% of the infants showed secure attachment, 15% showed ambivalent, and 15% showed avoidant. These attachment styles stream from the baby’s’ temperament and the caregiver’s sensitivity and patience towards the baby. For example, if a caregiver is patient and sensitive towards a difficult baby then the secure attachment bond would form.

Many studies have been done similar to this that prove the results of this experiment valid. So ask your parents how you were when you were a baby, and what happened when they would leave the room. Maybe you will find out something you never knew about yourself!

Most of my information came from my notes, but here’s a link for more details!

http://www.simplypsychology.org/mary-ainsworth.html

3 thoughts on “The Strange Situation Test”

1. My mom always told me that I whole explode with tears as a baby when I would leave her side. This experiment is so cool and introduced me to how different attachment styles could be adjusted for caretaking. Thanks for sharing!

2. I learned about this in my psych 100 class. It is interesting to learn just how important the attachments we form as young children impact us for the rest of life.

3. I took an exam on this yesterday! Did you know that the attachment style you exhibit as a child has a strong correlation with the attachment styles you exhibit as an adult in relationships. It is possible to change you style or it could be situational depending on how to partner makes you feel but most people are pretty consistent throughout their lives with their attachment style.