SCIENCE REPORTING CLIPS

While I traditionally do live, interactive reports, I also do science “packages.”  Packages is a news industry term for a pre-recorded story.  Here are a few packages I’ve done:

Earth Day

At FOX43, I covered an Earth Day celebration, and while I was there, the weather became part of the story.

Snowstorm

I wanted to make live reporting in a snow storm more interesting than the traditional “put a ruler in the snow” report.  So, I brought everyone’s must-haves for a snowstorm: a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.  Each half hour, I switched between using a gallon of milk and slices of bread for my demonstrations.

At the top of the hour, I used a stack of bread to show how much snow had fallen at my location.

At :30 past the hour, I weighed the milk on a bathroom scale to show how a shovel full of snow weighed the same.

I received an Emmy nomination for excellence in weather reporting for this story.

Natural Disaster Reporting

In studio, I love using FOX43’s touch screen to make a weather story more interactive.

When a hurricane damaged a National Weather Service radar, I showed their Twitter pictures.  I also gave context to the damaged by showing pictures I took of a non-damaged Doppler radar.

Microburst Damage

After straight-line winds tore through northern Lancaster County, I volunteered to work on a day off so that I could report on the damage.

Straight-line winds are strong wind gusts that drop out of a thunderstorm.  Sometimes, like in Lancaster County in February 2017, they can be as strong as a tornado.   It’s hard to believe this picture is not tornado damage.

These trees snapped and fell all in the same direction because of straight-line wind gusts.

Yet, all the damage is in a straight-line, so “straight-line” wind caused this.  These 75 to 95 MPH wind gusts were the strength of an EF 1 tornado, which is why they caused so much damage.

“Microbursts”, another name for straight-line wind, are often more destructive than a tornado of an equivalent wind speed.  This is because they cover a much wider area than a tornado in Pennsylvania normally would.  In fact, there was a nine-mile path of damage from this Microburst.

Earthquake Reporting

Working at FOX43 one night, reports of an earthquake flooded the newsroom.

Right after the earthquake happened, I wrote a story for FOX43’s website.

I was able to find a local seismograph reading that detected the earthquake, which I analyzed in my touch-screen report that night and in the online article I wrote. You can read it here.