Definition. Retention. and Types!

Hey Guys! So this is blog number 2 and today we are talking about the definition of hair, hair types, and length retention.

The definition of hair is any fine thread like strands growing from the skin. But here we are talking specifically about the hair that grows from the scalp of your head.

Hair Types:

There are 4 different hair types. Those are Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, and Type 4 hair. Each hair type has subgroupings that range from a to c. Examples of those are 1a, 2b, 3c, and 4a. Type 1 hair is straight hair. Type 2 hair is wavy. Type 3 consists of curly hair. Type 4 has kinky/coily hair. Type 3 is where curly hair initially starts and where wavy hair ends. Hair is very versatile. It can be manipulated and become curly same way curly hair can be straight.

Retention:

Length retention is the idea that you can do certain things that will prevent split ends and excessive breakage.

To make natural hair retain length:

1. Moisturize and seal your ends
    • Ends are the most fragile and the oldest part of your hair. They need to be moisturized to prevent breakage and split ends. Using water and water based products are the best moisturizers while using oils and butters are the best sealants. Always and I mean always moisturize then oil your hair because oil is a sealant not a moisturizer it will not help your hair.
  2. Choose low maintence hair styles
    • Daily styling and excess combing of natural hair can lead to breakage and split ends.
  3. Protect your hair while you sleep
    • Satin pillowcases, bonnets, scarves, etc to sleep are best.
    • cotton pillowcases soak up moisture from your hair and leaves your hair dry by morning.
  4. Watch out for your hair accessories
    • Sharp points pointing out of your hair clips or bobbypins can literally pull your hair out or cause scratches on your scalp.
  5. Watch out for too- tight hair styling
    • Hair styles that are too tight can lead to hair loss and breakage. In individuals you can see bumps or irritation in the hair line if the style is too tight.
  6. Wash your hair in sections
    • Shampooing with sulfrate free shampoo is a must. Shampooing and conditioning your hair in sections is key. It makes detangling your hair easier. It takes longer but it it is worth it since it causes less breakage during washing.
  7. Get rid of split ends
    • Holding on to split ends for longer length is not it! Split ends will literally keep splitting. Then the hair begins to tangle with nearby strands and causes even more breakage.
  8. Be gentle when detangling
    • Always wet your hair with water and you can add a leave-in conditioner to help. Then you start at the ends of your hair using a wide tooth comb or detangling brush and going up towards the roots of your hair. Once again always detangle in sections because it causes less breakage and split ends.

And in the result of all that we get length retention!

3 thoughts on “Definition. Retention. and Types!

1. I am surprised by the amount of steps and things to keep in mind when taking care of the hair. Now, I know the type of shampoo that I should look for to retain healthy hair. I have always wondered how I can protect my hair while I sleep. Do you happen to have a remedy for bed hair? (Sometimes I have to spend an unnecessary amount of time trying to fix it when I do get it). I will revisit this blog post for reference whenever I go shopping for care products, when I need a refresher, or when I have a bad hair day.

2. I definitely needed this blog. Full disclosure, I treat my hair horribly even though I do not mean to or want to. Every time I get it cut, I convince myself that it won’t end up damaged and broken, and well, I have yet to stick to that statement. Hopefully, the techniques you described help me to take better care of it after the next cut. Moreover, the chart you provided helped me to identify my hair type as 2a. I supposed that the identification made me feel more connected with my hair, as I would like it to look like the example picture of my type.

3. The information and advice that you provided with this post was thorough and well delivered. Although I can’t take advantage of your shared knowledge with my short, type 1 hair, I am sure that others who come across this post will be able to learn something that will help them with their personal hair care. I love the writing voice that you have decided to use for this blog. It is conversationally informal and well laid out, and the organization of this post was also spot on. The reader can either take in the entire blog or simply go to sections they are interested to make the most out of their reading.