Rebecca Cobes

Facetune

This is Rebecca Cobes. Rebecca is one of the nicest people I know, and probably one of the smartest too. She is so sweet, and has such a giving heart. Moral of this story? If Rebecca thinks something, you should probably at least check out why she thinks that. If a person is intelligent, they know why they think certain things. Rebecca has often shown me that she cares more about other people, than for herself. So she wouldn’t make a decision that hurt other people. Read what Rebecca has to say about feminism, and comment below any responses you might have!

1.) Are you a Feminist?

-Does Penn State get cold in winter? Are puppies cute? Is Coke better than Pepsi? Yes it does. Yes they are. Of course it is! Yes I am a feminist!! 🙂

2.) What is a feminist?

-Anyone and everyone who believes that women and men should have equal opportunity in every area of life. On a slight tangent, a lot of the time I feel like people opt out of labelling themselves feminist by saying that they would just prefer to refer to themselves as an equalitarian. However, feminism is more than just equalitarian. Feminism is an effort towards equality that specifically calls attention to a sector of where equality is still lacking. Calling feminism the same thing as equalitarianism is like calling a recycling effort being environmentally friendly. Yes you’re being a friend to the environment, but it’s a lot more than that too.

3.) Why are you a feminist?

-Once I realized what feminism was, I had no reason not to be a feminist! I like equality and I like helping support equality where it needs help the most. Plus, feminism doesn’t just help females. Feminism, when executed correctly- helps everyone!

4.) Why do you think there is so much negativity associated with feminism?

-Media media media. I feel like there’s a lot of negativity associated with feminism because the media tends to focus on feminism in a negative light. As with anything, negativity, for whatever reason, tends to draw a crowd. Just think about the last time you saw a majority of the news be positive- if you can even think of one. Because media sources profit from exposure they play on any negative connotation they can give to a movement or event such as feminism. Consequently, people draw conclusions about the feminist movement that are scripted and that sometimes appear a lot more negative than what the positive reality actually is.

5.) What can we do to change that?

-We can continue to be examples and advocates of and for what feminism and feminists are really all about. I don’t want to say that something will radically change and eradicate every negative misconception of feminism within the next day, because that is almost impossible. Besides the sheer improbability- I don’t know if that’s the best option anyway. Effective change takes time, one patient and determined person at a time. Clichés are true for a reason.

6.) How can feminism change the world?

-How can’t feminism change the world? It already has! From women gaining the right to vote to current female presidential candidates (and countless things in between!)… Things are a long way from perfect but we’re getting a little better each day.

7.) What is one inequality that makes you mad as a feminist? (e.g. Wage gap)

-Street harassment and or catcalling. From personal experience I have found females much more likely to be catcalled or harassed than males. Neither is remotely okay. Even in places like Penn State where it is relatively easy to think that this doesn’t happen- it does. I personally have been catcalled on our campus. Moreover, if I’m walking alone at night I do feel uneasy and on edge. However, when I’m accompanied by one of my male friends I never think twice- and there within lies the problem.

8.) If you could say one thing to people who are against feminists what would you say?

-*insert peace emoji here* ✌?️

7 Comments on Rebecca Cobes

1. Lina Ruth
    September 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm (9 years ago)

Hi Julia! I hope that these posts are making people think about what they believe about feminism. Feel free to comment if you don’t agree with anything!

2. Lina Ruth
    September 29, 2015 at 9:45 pm (9 years ago)

Hi Hannah! I agree with you, I thought it was so cool to see how Rebecca defended the word feminism, and I definitely feel more confident in calling myself a feminist now.

3. Lina Ruth
    September 29, 2015 at 9:44 pm (9 years ago)

Hi Sarah! I am so glad you are finding it interesting! Hopefully by looking at different people’s opinions, we can come to a clearer sense of what we really believe in 🙂

4. Sarah Hauryski
    September 25, 2015 at 8:33 am (9 years ago)

I love how you interview different people for you blog! It’s really interesting to me how others view feminism!

5. sjw147
    September 24, 2015 at 4:45 pm (9 years ago)

Rebecca, what an eloquent post! As a female engineer, I had not really considered myself a feminist (more feeling I wanted to be treated equally without special treatment) until more recently in my career. Your wording and analogies really hit home for me. Thank you!

6. Hannah
    September 24, 2015 at 10:57 am (9 years ago)

This post has really made me consider my own convictions! I am someone who typically avoids labeling myself as a feminist. While I obviously believe in equality for every individual, I’ve had negative experiences in which self-proclaimed feminists have tried to alter my opinions by calling me ignorant and using other demeaning comments. In Rebecca’s case, she seems respectively toward everyone’s opinion yet she remains strong in her own. This is extremely refreshing. I especially enjoyed her comparison of people calling themselves “equalitarian” to people saying they are “environmentally friendly,” because it really captures the essence of what feminism actually is versus how it is portrayed in the media. Thanks for the though-provoking post!

7. Julia Catena
    September 24, 2015 at 10:55 am (9 years ago)

This is an excellent idea for a blog. I like that i’m learning more about others views on feminism and how you’re interviewing our peers on a very relevant topic.