Freddy Johansen

My name is Fredrikke, but everyone calls me Freddy and I am from a small town called Brønnøysund in Norway. I am a Junior majoring in global and international studies and minoring in Arabic. Apart from studying I am a tour guide with Lion Scouts, I am an athletic tour guide, I am involved in the Scandinavian club, I am the Vice President of Women’s club team handball and I work at the Bryce Jordan Center. In the Spring of 2019, I studied abroad in Amman, Jordan and I had an amazing time. I went with CIEE and I was in the Middle East Studies Program and I took classes in Arabic, a class on intercultural communication and a class on conflicts in the Middle East. When I was abroad, I also had an internship with the Independent Election Commission of Jordan which was a great experience and I met a lot of interesting people and learned a lot from it. I absolutely loved my experience in Jordan, and it was different than anything I had ever experienced before. I lived with a host family something that gave me great insight on what Jordanian life is really like. Through the program we also got the opportunity to go on many different trips to nearby sights and cities such as Petra, one of the seven wonders of the world, we went to Wadi Rum and rode camels in the desert and watched the sunset with the most beautiful view, and another memorable experience was volunteering at a local school in a refugee camp. Me and some of the friends that I made in the program also did some traveling on our own in Jordan and we went to the Dead Sea, the Red Sea and we went to explore some of the many historical sites that there are in Jordan. We also went to some nearby countries such as Egypt, United Arab Emirates and Israel. I would highly recommend studying abroad in Jordan and exploring the Middle East. The region is absolutely beautiful, the people are welcoming, hospitable and just amazing and you get to experience living in a big city with a vibrant culture and with so many things to do and things to see.