Signs of Spring (#1)

skunk_edited.jpgOne of the first signs of spring that break through the short days and long, cold nights of January is the unmistakable and overwhelming olfactory blast of skunk. Male skunks have started to wander about at night in search of females. They cruise through yards and grab snacks under birdfeeders or in easily overturned trash cans. They also stray onto area roadways and represent a high proportion of fresh road kills.

Many animals are initiating their mating behaviors. Gray squirrels are chasing each other up and down the maple trees in my back yard. I saw one actually climbing along on the underside of a high, vertical limb in an attempt to sneak up on the object of his affection. The young from these matings will be the “winter born” litter that we will watch grow throughout the summer.  If food is abundant enough the squirrels will have a second “summer born” litter in July that will mature just in time for next fall’s acorn season.

I have gone out at night and listened for great horned owls, but I have yet to find one. I always look across the black outlines of the upper tree branches hoping to see their silhouettes against the pale, cloudy sky.  Great horned owls start calling to their mates as early as late October and are one of the earliest mating avian species in North America. Mating typically occurs in January or February with the owlets hatching in the late winter or early spring. Nesting sites are whatever is available: old crow or hawk nests, squirrel nests or tree holes, caves, or even human-made shelters. These owls may be taking advantage of the wandering skunks, too. They are one of the few predators that are willing to take skunks as prey.

Another significant predator of skunks are coyotes, and we are also at a time of great activity for them. Like the skunks, the coyotes are wandering about looking for mates. People should be cautioned to keep pet cats and dogs in at night to keep them from being eaten by the active coyotes. House cats are a perfectly sized prey species for a coyote.  I saw a coyote one night two weeks ago crossing an open field in Plum and another one some months ago out in a similar habitat in Kiski Township. They are abundant in almost every rural and urban region of the country. They are close by, active, and work very hard at not to being seen by people.

So some thoughts and sights of spring! Love is in the air. So, when do we get some snow? 

This entry was posted in Bill's Notes. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Signs of Spring (#1)

1. JASON BUSH says:

I always enjoy these informative stories. They really add to the anticipation of the Spring season. I have noticed the pleasant aroma of the skunks recently. I was unaware it was due to the beginning of the mating season. I too will listen for the horned owl. Coyotes are strongly evident in this area. I have seen many in the past few year in my ventures in the woods.

2. JENNIFER KAY WOOD says:

I’m surprised to read that coyotes are so close by, too, though the skunks also give me cause for pause. So far, we’ve been lucky that our dogs haven’t had an encounter with one. Now that I know the males may be a bit “twitterpated” right now, and coyotes are in our midst, I’ll have a talk with the dogs about staying out of trouble.

Thanks for the reminder to listen for the great horned owl and look to the tops of trees for signs of them at night. That would be quite a sight!

3. MARIA ANGELES FRANCO-DE GOMEZ says:

I am glad that spring is coming, but I am worry about the coyotes. I didn’t know that we have coyotes in Plum.