Week 2: Learning and Web 2.0

Week 2: Learning and Web 2.0
Within the context of Web 2.0, learning occurs in a vastly different way than it has in the past. Understanding is reached not by simply consuming knowledge, but by interacting with and participating in discussions and activities which provide knowledge. Connecting with individuals who have similar, as well as different, experiences from the learning in order to build an understanding of a concept is a key difference in learning in this day and age. It is also an incredible means of learning about less “popular” subjects as anyone can post anything about any arbitrary subject to the web with ease and without expertise.

The shift to Web 2.0 has caused a change in the role of the facilitator in many ways. Prior to the Internet, learning was all done through the facilitator, teacher, or expert. As much learning and understanding has shifted to the Internet, the facilitator is no longer the sole resource for learners to access in order to acquire information. Learners may access information from various organizations and people from across the world. Most of today’s jobs require employees to access information and problem-solve without much guidance or direction. As children progress through school and become adults, it is imperative that educators prepare them for the jobs they will have upon completing their formal education. Web 2.0 allows educators to provide students with the practice participating in the Open Knowledge Exchange Zone by allowing students to combine knowledge from multiple sources, use knowledge to learn from others’ knowledge, and to create representations of knowledge (Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0 by Brown & Adler).

In designing appropriate learning environments for the 21st century learners entering our schools today, it is important that we are considerate of the shifts occurring in the way students learn as well as the shift in the jobs coming into existence. We must consider the end result we anticipate for our students, what they will be expected to do upon completion of their formal education. Flexibility, initiative, and a basic understanding of various subjects are required of most employees nowadays. Therefore, we must create learning environments using the resources Web 2.0 provides in order to fulfill the current needs of students as well as prepare them for their futures.

-Erika

3 thoughts on “Week 2: Learning and Web 2.0

1. Rachel H Tan

Week 2 BC on Learning and Web 2.0
    Erika wrote: The shift to Web 2.0 has caused a change in the role of the facilitator in many ways. Prior to the Internet, learning was all done through the facilitator, teacher, or expert.

I fully agree with your statement above. When we have a great teacher, he / she does not transmit information but facilitates learning by way of testing our understanding of key concepts or principles so as to clarifies where it is needed. With or without the Web 2.0 technologies, that should be how learning occurs. But now with the Web 2.0 technologies in our shores, if used appropriately it can enhance the learning process. But if not used appropriately, it could be a turn off. This is a good video interview on e-learning the right way, https://ashleytan.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/video-interview/

2. eimpagliatelli Post author

Thanks for your comment Karen. I agree that too much emphasis on any single reform is risky. However, I believe that today’s jobs require a vastly different set of skills than many people realize though. In my opinion, “job skills” entails a wide variety of skills including but not limited to collaboration, peer tutoring, organization, oral and written communication (formal and informal), basics of technology, and time management. These are the basic “job skills” that I find so many students missing and this is causing issues as these students “grow-up” and attempt to work in the real world.

3. Karen Yarbrough

I understand the impulse in a down economy, but I worry about the emphasis everyone puts on “job skills”. I know I definitely do it, too, probably as a means of justifying my own job’s existence, but I’m trying to think critically about what that means for education overall. How much of our learning really has to do with what we do every day? We all want our students to be motivated and engaged, but then we say that the most important things that they can learn are “job skills”. How is that motivating? If a student gets excited about something that isn’t marketable, are we supposed to try to turn an artist into an architect as if they were the same thing? It’s just something I’ve been puzzling over a bit lately.