Week 3: Changing Roles of Learner and Teacher

By definition, learning is to ‘gain or acquire knowledge’, or ‘to commit to memory’. In my middle-school-teacher opinion however, I know that my students are learning when they conduct an experiment, game, or activity in order to collaboratively recognize facts or make their own realizations. Learning often takes place through discovery, exploration, and even play in these student-directed lessons. In regards to the teacher’s participation becoming more focused on creating and shaping new learning environments, Douglas Thomas says, “You get to see students learn, discover, explore, play, and develop, which is the primary reason I think that most of us got into the job of teaching.” Although the teacher oftentimes guides the students and facilitates the learning by setting up the experiments, games, and activities to appropriately induce learning, it is always student-centered. This truly is a more rewarded, although very difficult, role that teachers must begin to practice in order for learning to take place.

As a Mathematics teacher, it is important that I recognize the many indicators of learning. I know my students have learned a concept when they are able to share their knowledge & skills with others, or when they make real-world connections between the content in our classroom and their personal lives.

In the future, I see my role as a facilitator in the classroom changing somewhat. Currently, I spend about half of my classroom time directly teaching whole or small-group lessons. The other half is spent in guided learning activities, collaborative group work, and researching Math concepts. I believe that as information continues to grow more easily accessible and understandable for middle school students, more classroom time will be spent with students directing their own learning and using the information/resources available through Web 2.0 tools. Students will be able to more actively engage with academic content and share back-and-forth with students not only in their classroom, but well beyond the walls of the school.

-Erika

Wordle

2 thoughts on “Week 3: Changing Roles of Learner and Teacher

1. exp939

I agree class will be full of self-learning and using online resources through web 2.0. I feel the same way when I spend time here studying by myself. I am not boring at all working on every week readings, blogging, commenting and helping each other understand. Specially, reading others thoughts fascinate me and it is like coffee break, which seems for others to not much important time but which is so much fun and valuable moment for ourselves. But somehow I am feeling a bit nervous thinking..what if I am losing some of valuable information I am learning online because of unlimited, endless resources. I hope we educators find effective platform for solving my concerns soon.

2. Karen Yarbrough

I like your statement about needing to “recognize the many indicators of learning”. I’ve had teachers come into the media center and look displeased that there was noise and movement. I’m like they’re working together! chill out or get out!