Week 5 Blog and Podcast

Week 5 Blog

What do you see as the role of blogs for learning as integrated in formal learning environments?

From my point of view, I believe the role of a blog in a formal learning environment is for educators to ADD depth and interest for students. I don’t think a blog should “take over” a class. A blog should not be the sole assignment or project. Blogs should be places for students to “have a voice”, participate, and feel like they belong. As the Bartholomew text Educational Blog Management Strategies and Tools reports, blogging is the “most education friendly” of the new Web 2.0 tools.

“The new and unique qualities of Web 2.0 can be compounded in traditional educational settings by the fact that students often times have far more experience with and understanding the new technology than the teachers who are developing curriculums and setting educational goals.” Why not let these students ADD depth and interest to their learning goals? Why limit the resources for your students? Why not make it MEANINGFUL to them?

The teacher/professional blog that I enjoyed reading through most was Will Richardson’s blog. My favorite part of his blog (and a part that I have not seen on too many other teacher blogs) is the section titled “Ask Me Anything”.  Any person who is logged into Tumblr can ask a question and likely get a response. What a great way to foster communication and feedback. In Will’s case, this is a way for potential “buyers” of his books to contact him and to feel that personal touch that is sometimes lost along the way.

What do you see as the role of blogs when self-initiated and informal? (i.e., outside bounds of any institution/formal classroom), especially in the context of learning?

As Balsley’s text 10 Good Reasons to Start a Blog states in #2, starting a blog INSPIRES YOU. I believe the role of many self-initiated and informal blogs start off due to an inspiration that a person has. Some people may be inspired to learn more about themselves. If a person is on a weight loss journey, it could be motivating and inspiring for them to create a blog. Blogs could also be created to help map out preparations for a wedding, or an addition to a family. There are many “personal” reasons for ordinary people to be transformed into “bloggers” and I think that the underlying reason is because it will INSPIRE not only the blogger, but other people along the way.

What do you see as the most important aspects to consider in using blogs for learning?

In the conclusion of Bartholomew’s text, blogging is referred to as a “loving, growing organism.” “It needs to be tended and watched over in the same way someone might a garden.” This made me laugh a little bit, but I believe it to be true. Having a blog that keeps students coming back for more is a very important aspect. If the blog starts to die down, the person in charge (the gardener) needs to give it what it needs to survive.. In a blog’s case, it depends on the group, but that could be new interactions and more STUDENT led projects in some cases.

“Blog participants are self-generating agents. They must choose to visit the blog, they must choose to read and take seriously the thoughts/ideas of others, and they must choose to actively write on the blog in a way that fosters interest.”  Blogs that do not do these things will not survive and will not foster learning.

I also found 2 of the 10 Good Reasons to Start a Blog by Jessica Balsley to be important aspects when considering blog us for learning in a classroom. #3 states that a blog CONNECTS YOU. Not only do blogs connect the teacher to parents and the community, but they can connect students to other students and students to the community. If a blog can achieve this, I believe it can foster learning. The second reason that I’d like to point out is #8 (Makes you feel as though you are not alone). If students and teachers can see a blog as a place to share their successes and trials, they will realize that there is always room for improvement. A blog is a great way to get feedback, and getting feedback helps both students and teachers learn.

In this Podcast, I interviewed Cara Marchione who is a 3rd grade teacher who just earned her Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from Penn State.

3 thoughts on “Week 5 Blog and Podcast

1. Phil

@Shelby – so I’m curious, did you take the opportunity to participate in that conversation by asking him ‘any question’? I think you’ve done a great job of pointing us all to this feature.

My favorite part of his blog (and a part that I have not seen on too many other teacher blogs) is the section titled “Ask Me Anything”.

2. Karen Yarbrough

I think your emphasis of making connections with the community to be spot on. Having “blog buddies” on the other side of the world is the new pen pal, and having guest bloggers from local organizations would be a great way to expand the students’ outlook beyond the classroom.

3. eimpagliatelli

I love the suggestions regarding schools using Facebook that Cara Marchione provided. I love Facebook, personally and professionally. She also mentioned using technology as a means of differentiating for various students.

I agree with your comment about blogs inspiring people and being used to organize thoughts regarding a wedding or a weight loss journey, as you mentioned. I created a blog to reflect and remind myself of good and not-so-good things that I tried in my classroom and my life. If organized correctly and with the purpose in mind, blogs can make wonderful keepsakes to store memories, regardless of the topic.

Thanks for sharing, and have a good weekend!

-Erika