Week 8 post – A shift in thinking

•  What is your perspective on the notion of a ‘fluid’ epistemology as proposed by Dede–that is, that knowledge is collectively negotiated and ratified as opposed to being ‘given’?

Dede starts his article by describing the differences between what our information searches look like now as opposed to what they looked like before the web existed. In some ways, I agree that the initial search is much faster when using Web 2.0 tools, but overall the search for information very much models old school methods. In order to verify truths, one must do some digging, to seek out “an expert” on the subject. And isn’t that what we’ve done all along? Its not always easy to recognize hearsay especially if the person relaying it sounds knowledgeable, but what I think this new movement has done for us is to open us up to questioning that hearsay.

When we exclusively employed the “classical method”, we took the information at face value and didn’t argue with its validity. What we’ve seen is that with all of the inaccuracies and biases in traditional texts, to some degree we’ve bought into the hearsay. The more opportunity we have to challenge traditional thought and teaching the more we may actually do it.

• How does connectivism relate to the epistemological shift described by Dede?

Dede states that knowledge is collectively negotiated and ratified as opposed to being ‘given’ and this directly corresponds to Landauer and Dumais’ idea that connecting our own “small worlds of knowledge” are apparent in the exponential impact provided to our personal learning. When we collectively negotiate knowledge, the information we contribute contains our own perspectives and additional detail.

Siemens states that “connectivism presents a model of learning that acknowledges the tectonic shifts in society where learning is no longer an internal, individualistic activity. How people work and function is altered when new tools are utilized. The field of education has been slow to recognize both the impact of new learning tools and the environmental changes in what it means to learn. Connectivism provides insight into learning skills and tasks needed for learners to flourish in a digital era.”

3 thoughts on “Week 8 post – A shift in thinking

1. Karen Yarbrough

“Its not always easy to recognize hearsay especially if the person relaying it sounds knowledgeable, but what I think this new movement has done for us is to open us up to questioning that hearsay.”

Yes! More so than ever before now, we are openly discussing checking sources and searching for experts for verification. I think this is so important! People are more open to the idea of questioning what they are told because they have now been conditioned by the scary, scary Internet to have to be able to figure things out for themselves.

2. Justin Montgomery

On a general premise, I agree with Melissa (@mre109) about the need for combining Web 2.0 and classical learning. Facts are, well, facts. We can keep what we know to be tried and true, and we can build on them and apply them to the world’s problems using our new tools and how they introduce new ways of thinking through the power of collaboration. Hannah (@his105), I’m so glad that you mentioned the way education’s lagged behind in adopting new technologies and their impact on learning in the classroom. This issue will continue to play a critical role in keeping our education system relevant in preparing our Nation’s youth to globally compete. Teachers – veterans and new comers alike – need training in how to knock down the four wall of the traditional classroom using modern tools of learning.

3. Melissa Glenn

I was thinking about your comment “The more opportunity we have to challenge traditional thought and teaching the more we may actually do it.” I’m wondering how much the ability to look up information on the internet may lead to some who subscribe to conspiracy theories or refuse to believe information from valid sources. I think it is great to challenge known beliefs or thoughts on a topic, but information and data to back up the argument is important. I have had students who question everything in an argumentative way, without understanding the basics of that area so that they can challenge, research, and defend a new way of thinking. So, while this possible new epistemology can be good, there needs to be an appropriate balance between allowing for student-led research through Web 2.0 learning networks and traditional basic instruction so that the student is prepared to work more independently.