PART I: HIGHER EDUCATION’S “CROSSROAD”

mhivWvC.jpg

Note:  This article is from a series on change with strategic implications for higher education.

I am hyperaware of disruptive innovation and technology, combining faculty experience during the dotcom business transformation with two previous experiences: first as a mechanical engineer in manufacturing, and later partnering with Telco to offer multimedia and other digital services.  So it seems I may need to brace myself for a fourth, as the web shifts attention to higher education.

Shifting Focus of the World Wide Web

Like aggressive digital ivy, the World Wide Web has flourished and expanded steadily since gaining prominence in 1995.  Initially empowered with nothing more than a magical hyperlink, the web has greatly surpassed its glorified glossy brochure beginning.

In an early demonstration of strength, the web possibly invoked Metcalfe’s Law to inflict great damage on sophisticated private information networks, such as Prodigy and AOL.   The sheer number of web devices connecting through the Internet was proving a formidable information adversary.

Around 1999, the web turned attention to traditional “brick and mortar” business, and began using its transformative “e” mark, as in “eCommerce” and “eBusiness.”  Online companies such as Amazon jumped at the web opportunity, while more established companies such as Barnes and Noble, proceeded more cautiously.  This was a fascinating time to serve as a MBA faculty member.  It was also fretful attempting to anticipate changes and impact, such as disintermediation (i.e., claims that the middleman would be eliminated).  Although details were foggy, it was clear to business educators that the web would be impactful and should not be ignored.

Disruption in Higher Education

These experiences are why I carefully follow discussion of disruption in higher education, and related technology changes such as free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC).   Major MOOC players include faculty from credible institutions such as Stanford, Harvard and MIT

I also find fascinating Anya Kamenetz’s “DIY U” (do it yourself university) initiative.  Ms. Kamenetz reached TED status,  where one commenter posted:

In the classic case of an “industry” that is prime for disruption, our existing 1,000 year-old model of education will probably be radically different as a result of lower-cost, more efficient competitors that are able to deliver learning to a new generation. Maybe the traditional institution’s role is in coordinating the open resources available for free rather than being simply a rigid house that is resistant to change.

What to Do?

All conjecture is currently valid, so I listen without opposition to faculty arguments that higher education is exempt from disruption.  At the minimum, I believe disruption in higher education should be monitored.  Better to anticipate and prepare for change, including MOOC experimentation (either as instructor or student), than be caught off guard.  This includes the online research center initiative by PSU’s College of Information Sciences and Technology.   

Suggested Reading

·      Christensen, Clayton M., et. Al. (2011), Disrupting College:  How Disruptive Innovation Can Deliver Quality and Affordability to Postsecondary Education, www.americanprogress.org

·      (2012), Virtual Princeton: A guide to free online Ivy League classes, theweek.com

Photo Credit:  mzacha at rgbstock.com