RCL #6 It’s What I Do- A Kind of Balance

In part III of her book, Addario comes to a profound conclusion. She muses, “The sadness and injustice I encountered as a journalist could either sink me into a depression or open the door to a vision of my own life. I chose the latter.”

Honestly, anyone can connect to this idea. The world is a corrupt place with corrupt institutions ran by corrupt people. Everyone is affected by this corruption and injustice. Addario establishes an emotional connection to her audience by suggesting a commonplace: that of injustice.

My passion blog, “Oyez, Oyez, Oyez…Oh No.”, is a pun on the announcement of the Supreme Court members into the chamber. Oyez symbolizes an institution defined by tradition and morals. However, as aforementioned, all institutions are inherently corrupt, spurring on my addition of the “Oh No”.

I utilize Addario’s sentiment of injustice propelling her passion in my own blog, highlighting the injustices inflicted by the Supreme Court. Whether it be racial, gender, or age discrimination, the Court has a good and a bad ruling on everything.

Personally, I have faced the problems of injustice that Addario explains. In 7th grade a junior called me a spic. When eating at Cracker Barrel an older man and his son got up and left after my grandfather and I sat down. An older lady told my dad to “go back to where you come from before Trump deports you” while he was delivering her mail.

But you see,

I remain steadfast. I do not let these petty comments define me; they propel me. I am active politically and will remain so. My blog exemplifies this, as does Addario’s book. And whether I am apart of the “highest Court in the Land” or the man on the corner screaming “the end is nye,” you are going to hear my opinion, and I don’t need your validation.

1 Thought.

1. I feel for you conflict as I have faced similar discrimination in my upbringing. It wouldn’t be a full year of school without having change thrown at me or having someone refer to me as a Jew (accompanied by a typical stereotype adjective) or my personal favorite, being called a Christ-killer. It doesn’t happen often but when they do these things stick. Thank you for addressing it in your blog as I understand where you are coming from. Like Addario, we are stronger from these conflicts we face.