It’s What I Do RCL #7- A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Words

Lynsey Addario places the most moving photographs into her book, It’s What I Do. Obviously, I would expect nothing less than perfection from a Pulitzer-Prize winning photographer.

Personally, I believed the two images below, taken from the book in between pages 210 and 211, speak to Lynsey Addario’s message and overall creative genius.

On the left is a picture of women peacefully sitting. The image is so powerful due to the casting of light across the faces of the women. Also, the blowing sheer fabric is really magical and suggests a fantasy world where the violence that Addario captured doesn’t exists, a quintessential juxtaposition. Furthermore, it recalls the early days of Addario’s photography in the remote areas of Afghanistan. Due to her being a woman, she was one of the first “Western” photographers to capture Afghan women in their homes. These women pictured may or may not be Afghani, as there was no caption provided for the photo.

On the right is a picture of a boy crying. Any picture of a child’s sadness projects a deep sorrow in the viewer. After all, a child experiencing the horrors of war is the worst form of losing innocence. The sadness in his eyes can not adequately be manifested in words for his eyes tell a story that many are unlikely to bear witness to. It seems that this photograph also underlines Addario’s purpose for photography: to fight against injustice.

Now, there are many ways to incorporate images into my blog. For those who do not know, my blog is about the injustices committed by the Supreme Court. I can easily utilize photographs of historical moments at the Supreme Court. I mean, who hasn’t seen this photo:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and our word limit is three to five hundred, it is time to start using more pictures.