Conversation Two…Passion Blog #3

Well, my grandfather’s birthday went very well.

This year was a little bit more lowkey. My mom invited him over the day before his actual birthday by saying he forgot his hat here. Once he walked through the door we all yelled “surprise”; he was so happy. We then sat him down and sang happy birthday to him. He blew out the candles and we all had some delicious Dairy Queen ice cream cake.

He opened up his presents one by one. He read each card with care and thanked us each with a hug. He received a picture of us grandchildren placed on a canvas. Apparently, there is no limit to what WalMart can do at this point. It was a picture taken from last year’s birthday party for him. It is amazing how realistic it looked. It appeared as though it had been painted. Amazing, 21st Century technology is truly phenomenal.

My grandpa is 70 years old now. He always jokes that he is now so old. To me, he has always been old. Thankfully, he still has his hair, so I have hope for a bald-free future for myself.

Anyways, he had a lot of fun and told us all stories from a long time ago, which typically happens when the family gets together. We ended up talking late into the night about the importance of living life to the fullest since tomorrow is not promised. We also ended up drinking coffee and playing dominos late into the night, as per the usual tradition of staying up late on holidays and birthdays.

This all occurred on Friday.

My sister and I attended my grandfather’s church on Sunday as he was preaching that day. It was a great message and it meant a lot to him that we were there.

Overall, that weekend was pretty great as my sister and my grandfather both had birthdays back-to-back.

I would never trade my family for anything as the memories we have will transcend time.

3 Thoughts.

1. I think it’s great that your grandfather had a wonderful time during his Birthday! I also agree with you on the fact that one should always live life to the fullest, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. My family does similar activities when we’re celebrating someone’s birthday!

2. Reading your posts always reminds me of how much I miss my own family when I’m at school. Even though I am not as close to my grandparents as you seem with yours, I can only imagine how excited my grandmother would be if we threw her a surprise party.

3. I’m so glad his birthday went well! Your family sounds wonderful and I love hearing new stories about your grandfather. I like the tradition you have of staying up late on holidays and birthdays and having deep, meaningful conversations.