PSEL: Leadership Philosophy Final

Below is my first leadership philosophy draft:

First Draft

As a leader, I will rely on the expertise of my team and colleagues but provide vision and direction to move us forward. I will strive to maintain calm in the face of chaos and communicate clearly in a sea of noise. Above all, I will be honest with my team and “customers” and treat them with integrity and respect. I will always seek to learn more about leadership needs, especially from my mistakes.

I was happy with this draft because it captured the need for a leader to juggle many priorities while being generally composed (a positive trait in my mind). It also addressed somewhat the need to act ethically, but maybe my additions will also address the need to be humble as well. Being humble is hopefully one way to ensure you have a check on yourself and learn to listen to what everyone needs – not just the people sitting at a meeting table.

But everything can be tweaked a bit. Here is my latest draft.

Second Draft

As a leader, I will rely on the expertise of my team and colleagues but provide vision, direction and support to move us forward in a direction that serves the community and our principles as best as possible. I will strive to maintain calm in the face of chaos and communicate clearly in a sea of noise. Above all, I will be honest with my team and “customers” and treat them with integrity and respect and listen with empathy and understanding. I will always seek to learn more about leadership needs, especially from my mistakes.

In this draft I am adding thoughts about the need to understand and work with others to move forward as a group. Even though I am an introvert and really LOVE working independently…the truth is that I do live in a community and do need to learn to communicate and work more effectively with other people. No vision can really thrive unless other people can understand it.

Will this be my final draft? I expect not. I have made a lot of mistakes in being a “leader”, but I am learning that many leaders have made mistakes. It’s being willing to admit to them and learn from them that makes you a stronger leader.

P.S. I do have to stipulate that by “community” I need to define it as widest parts of my community. There are lots of ethical lapses committed in the name of “protecting the community”. Usually though, these protection only applies to just the “important” part of the community, leaving others to suffer.

This entry was posted in PSEL. Bookmark the permalink.