PSEL: Caption Vendor Assessment

One stretch assignment I did early in the year was to lead a group to evaluate multiple caption vendors. I recruited and worked with a group multimedia and learning design specialists who had worked with the captioning process. As a group we developed an evaluation rubric which included parameters such as pricing, server security, guaranteed accuracy levels and other technical requirements.

After that we were able to contact a set of vendors to learn more about their services and then wrote a report evaluating their services. Originally the idea was to form a more centralized service, but for different reasons this has not yet been implemented. However, we did learn enough to make recommendations we could share with other units. I also learned more about the captioning process in general, and since this is so central to accessibility, I have more information to share with the community.

I guess the lesson here is that few “assignments” at Penn State lead to outcomes originally intended, but that no experience is completely wasted.

This entry was posted in PSEL. Bookmark the permalink.