The Coolest Building at Penn State

Stuckeman Family Building: Home of Penn State Architecture and Landscape Architecture

As a senior at Penn State I have experienced my fair share of interesting architecture here. I think the coolest building on campus by far is the Stuckeman Family Building, also known as the architecture and landscape architecture building. Although I am an architecture major and basically live in this building, other people agree that this is an incredible work of architecture. It was actually named one of the top 15 copper clad buildings in the world. The first time I went into  the building was during a tour while I was in high school and it is one of the reasons I knew I wanted to go to Penn State.

Third Floor View of Stuckeman

The first thing I noticed about this building besides its vibrant copper, was its curve. The curve it has is so unique and clearly distinguishes it from any other building on campus. On the interior, the building has a complete open concept which I think is one reason it is so appealing. The floors are completely open such that I can see the second and third floor from the fourth floor and vice versa.  This is a super unique design that isn’t present in many buildings. It has such an open and free feeling that makes visitors awestruck.

The “North Forum”. A teaching space in Stuckeman

It also has private teaching and studying spaces for its users which is very convenient. Although the building is always very loud and full of life (architects are always working), there are many places I can escape and have privacy to concentrate on my work. Aside from these private spaces, the building has its own public library, as well as two public computer labs.

One of my goals before I graduate is to go into every academic building on Penn State’s main campus at least once. I mostly want to do this from an architecture perspective. I feel like experiencing all of the different buildings here could help me with future designs. Plus, I just think it would be cool. I’ve been in probably half of the buildings on campus at this point whether I’ve had classes in them or just think they are cool and want to explore. Any free chance I get I see as an opportunity to explore new spaces that I have at my fingertips.