Dairy is Dangerous?

There are many issues in the meat and farming industry concerning the well being of animals and mal treatment they are suffering at our expense. Many people may think that the issues with the farming industry consist of the growing and slaughtering of animals that we use for meat, but unfortunately, this is not the case. Animal products are so wide spread and so over produced that these issues delve much deeper than just effecting the chickens, turkeys, cows and pigs raised for slaughter.
Animal products are everywhere we turn, even in the most unexpected places.Surprising foods with meat in them Many foods that would be seemingly meatless contain animal products and therefore are not considered vegetarian. For example, gummy bears, any red, chewy candy, marshmallows, beer, wine, and j-ello products, all contain some traces of meat products. I want to highlight this to draw conclusions about just how pervasive animal products are in this country.
In addition, dairy products are staples in most American households and are used in daily life. Milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, cream cheese, and sour cream are all examples of the most common household diary products. It is safe to say that many people would probably assume that dairy products do not have negative effects on animals because cows are used for milk and always have been. Milking a cow does not have to be a harmful process to the animal and in fact, a cow going with out being milked can be even more harmful.
Unfortunately, dairy farming has become another factory like process and is creating extreme abuse to the animals involved. Factory farming took over the diary farming industry and made the process completely unnatural. Female cows produce milk only when they have young to feed, not unlike female humans. In order to produce more dairy products, factory farmers began impregnating female cows by artificial insemination. Calves are typically taken from their mother days after birth, well before they are ready. Male calves are sloughed for veal and female calves begin the process of milking as soon as they possibly can. Female cows are being milked at least three times a day and are given drugs to increase the size of their utters and antibiotics to force them to produce more. The dairy cow of today produces more than four times the amount of milk than a dairy cow in 1950. Dairy farming
Cows in the wild or living outside of factory farms have a life span of about twenty years, but female cows being raised on dairy farms live until about five and are then killed when they no longer produce their maximum amount of milk. Their bodies wear down from being constantly pregnant and being milked and therefor they cannot survive. Additionally, the living conditions for milk cows when they are living is terrible. They spend their lives hooked to milking machines in warehouses with no access to light or the outdoors and suffer from standing on concrete floors in cramped stalls.
Overall, there are many negative sides to the dairy industry and the cows who are being milked are suffering for the pleasure of humans who wish to consume their products. Lessing the consumption of such products will lead to a decrease in demand and a better life for many cows.

2 thoughts on “Dairy is Dangerous?

1. ejs5652

I always feel a little queasy after reading your blogs!! Ignorance is sometimes bliss, especially when we have to eat at the dining halls and don’t have much control over where the university gets its food from. When I am at home, it is easy for me to know where my food comes from. I live surrounded by farms, have chickens, and we know the farmer who we buy a cow from every year. We get milk from a local store owned by amish people who know the cows that they milk, and eat vegetables from our garden. After reading this I am even more excited to go home and know where my food comes from again! Overall, great post 🙂

2. okk5026

I think that dairy production is often overlooked when people examine the negative effects of factory farming and of American food production in general: as you wrote, female cows are horrifically abused in order to produce milk. Cutting down on meat consumption is feasible in my opinion: it’s not very hard to forgo meat, poultry, and fish a few times a week or forever, and there are a lot of healthy replacements to be found. While there are foods with traces of meat in them, I think if companies were criticized enough, they would change ingredients. Cutting down on dairy may be harder: we put it in everything, from butter in cake to cream in coffee. Fortunately, there are alternatives, at least when it comes to creamer and milk and butter; I’m not sure what’s available in terms of other forms of dairy. In any case, dairy production cannot be ignored when it comes to ethical animal treatment, as it causes a great deal of harm and causes cows to be killed when they are still rather young.