Ten Essentials: Things Ella Can’t Live Without

We all have our YouTube guilty pleasure videos. For some, it’s new celebrity music videos or their vlogger of choice or even people making slime. For me, I really enjoy a series GQ magazine does called “Ten Essentials” where celebrities, usually artists or athletes, present their top ten essentials, or objects they use every day and can’t live without. Now, I consider myself a minimalist or at least am striving to be more that way, so the concept of having the same ten essentials consistently is interesting. I also love watching survival videos and am the kind of person who if asked if they were dropped anywhere in the world and could only have ten essentials would deadpanned say “a jug of water, 10 m of rope, duct tape” etc. But, outside of survival mode, here are my real ten essentials that I use daily.

1. Phone

Image result for iphone"

Ahh it’s so cheesy and I hate that I’m so dependent, but it’s true. Mostly for communication purposes, my phone is used throughout the entire day to coordinate, plan, and stay connected. Occasionally it’s used for meme purposes as well and keeping in touch with old friends. I keep a little stick on wallet on the back of my phone and that is also part of the essential.

2. Headphones and Spotify app

Image result for spotify app"

I absolutely love music and end up listening to at least a couple songs every day. Headphones are critical so I can listen while doing homework or in public spaces. The Spotify app is probably my favorite app ever, and the accessibility to such a vast amount of music brightens up my day and increases productivity at times.

3. Hard-copy book

Image result for emily dickinson poems cover"

Reading has always been one of my favorite pastimes and I’ve read at least 30 minutes before bed since I first learned how to read. The first semester of college caught me off my reading for pleasure game a little bit, but I’m back on the reading before bed habit. While I do have a kindle, something about looking forward to holding a physical book in my hands and enjoying whatever story I’m reading at the time really brings me joy. I go through books pretty fast, so the toughest part about this essential is probably discovering new great books to read and getting them into my hands. I am currently picking through a compilation of Emily Dickinson’s poems and am really enjoying it.

4. Bullet Journal

Image result for bullet journal"

I was skeptical about bullet journaling at first, but once I started June 2018, I never really looked back. From making lists, to drawing, to writing quotes, and anything and everything in between, bullet journaling is a great way to reflect and explore a creative outlet. Though I don’t journal every day, I would definitely consider it one of my essentials.

5. Water bottle

Image result for blue takeya water bottle 32 oz"

Of all the essentials, this one is probably most important. I always try and make sure I carry around a water bottle with me because if I don’t, I know I just won’t drink at all. When I used to live in Texas, I would get dehydrated and I actually fainted a couple times, so the omnipresent water bottle is a must. Also, if it’s decorated with fun stickers, it can act as a great icebreaker with the people around you.

6. Garmin watch

Image result for garmin watch forerunner"

The Garmin watch serves two real purposes; tell the time and track distances and mile splits. My watch helps me keep track of my busy life and makes sure I’m on time for various activities. More interestingly though, its GPS functioning allows me to go on campus runs or hikes and get an accurate reading on the distance I’ve travelled as well as my mile time. This watch is a key component of increasing my will and ability to work out.

7. Deck of cards

Image result for deck of cards japan"

As I mentioned in my previous blog, I love playing games, especially cards. I always have a deck of cards on me when I travel and many layovers have been passed by playing spades, hearts, and go fish. Even without a partner or group of people, I enjoy playing solitaire and a deck of cards is a great way to stop boredom without resorting to technology. My friend got me a cool deck of cards from Japan and so that’s the one I am currently playing with.

8. Chapstick, gum, hair-tie

Image result for chapstick gum and hair tie"

I am not much of a makeup or cosmetics girl, so my getting ready, personal items consist of Chapstick, gum, and a hair-tie. Incorporating Chapstick into my daily routine has been a life saver, especially in this dry, cold Pennsylvania weather, and gum just makes everything feel fresher. Whether I’m playing a 90-minute game of soccer, accessorizing an outfit, or about to sit down and dominate an ordinary and partial differential equation exam, a hair-tie enables me to get to business and unleash my inner boss girl.

9. Glasses/Sunglasses

Image result for sunglasses vans kapela off the wall"

I got normal glasses about a year ago so I could see the board in the classroom, and they are slowly moving up on my essentials list as I realize I am gradually becoming dependent on them to see far things clearly at all. So, stay tuned, contacts might end up being on my next essentials list! When I’m not wearing my glasses and it’s sunny out, I like to throw on some cool shades that I got for Christmas three years ago that cost a total of like $12. Between my cheap shades and Chapstick/gum/hair-tie strategy I am truly on my way to becoming a full fashion icon.

10. ID/key

Image result for drivers licence rainbow dude"Image result for key"

This one is kind of boring and adultish but I always try and have some form of ID on me, whether it’s a driver’s license or PSU ID. The key is absolutely critical in that I cannot get into my dorm without it so no key = sleep in study lounge.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my ten essentials list and hope they’re not too boring or mundane. Making a list like this one for yourself can be a great way to reevaluate which objects are important in your life and which ones are more superfluous.