3.3 Design

So there’s not much I can say about designing my head, since this was sort of an alternate project, so I’d rather go over the creality scanner and my struggles with it instead, then write a small blurb about scan cleaning and printing at the end.

Is the creality worth it? I’d say yes. Its a very slow process, the software sucks, and the only documentation is in my head, but the scans are high quality.

Working with the scanner was pretty hard at first. When I first cracked it open, I was sort of amazed about how clunky the software was, how horrible the first scan was, and how tough it was to set up. It needs USB 3.0+ and wall power to even run, so it’s hardware and location locked, the turntable needs either a bunch of AAA batteries or to be plugged into the scanner itself, and the object choice was odd.

But eventually I broke it.

I got through creality’s stupid software, and through a few rounds of testing, I got a good scan off it. The soda can. It wasn’t on the turntable, but it was good to me.

The turntable issue was also resolved, doing the pear and removing the base, allowing the software to clean itself up, and exporting it, the pear model came out almost identically, +/- some polygons.

Then was the ambitious part. Using a tripod and staying a little late, I slowly turned myself around, scanning my head all around before I was left with a model:

headd

This model was fantastic, mostly. The right ear was absolutely mangled, and it had missed a big portion of my head, which I had to fill with Meshmixer. For a first scan of a person, it was very very promising.

Printing was another challenge, I definitely should have used support material for the chin, and maybe selected something higher than 0.1 mm layer height, but after a day and a half of printing my head, I think it was worth it.