5 Responses

1. This was the first Macklemore song I ever heard, and I love it. I think it’s so refreshing to hear a rap song about something that matters rather than “pussy, money, weed”. (I hate stupid rap music SO much). I think music really does have the power to bring about political change, and this song’s popularity attests to that.

2. I am a HUGE fan of Macklemore. I remember the first time I heard “Same Love” I nearly fell out of my chair attempting to grab my phone to text all my friends telling them to go listen to the song. It made me incredibly happy to hear that they had all already heard it. This kind of music may be popular within certain groups of people, but I agree that it is a shame that it doesn’t get as much wide-spread recognition as the more catchy song. However, I know that many rappers view the genre as a means of expressing their political views, such as with Eminem’s “Mosh” (2004) and Lupe Fiasco’s “Words I Never Said” (2011.) Personally, I prefer the song with more meaning to the song with a better beat.

3. I love this! Artists like Macklemore and Lady Gaga really get their beliefs across such as homosexuality. These messages are extremely effective on their fan base! Bravo to Macklemore. I like him even more than I already did.

4. I think the hip-hop community is homophobic mainly because hip hop and rap have almost come together to form the hip/hop-rap genre of which whose lyrics mainly speak about doing drugs, having sex, and getting money. And being gay really does not go along with that style of musical performance. I do not think this is a homophobic view on behalf of the rap community; I think it is simply that part of the rap community is all about being extremely straight. On the other hand, I do feel that hip hop/rap is becoming more about being clever that talking about having sex, and with this, more gay rappers may appear.

5. This is so true. All the music nowadays is all about being catchy, I honestly can’t really ever listen to the top charts anymore because half of the music is stupid. (Although I do like thrift shop) I wonder if radios played music that had deeper messages if it would make a difference, I like to think it would because a lot of the music I listen to has deeper meanings and I am all for Civil Rights. I feel like our country needs to try harder in all aspects so that people really start fighting for civil rights issues. Even music can make a difference.