Mamma Mia!

This week I will be reviewing another musical movie – Mamma Mia. I absolutely adore this movie and love singing the songs with my sisters. Mamma Mia stars Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård, Julie Walters, Dominic Cooper, Amanda Seyfried, and Christine Baranski. Mamma Mia includes songs all by the group – ABBA. Mamma Mia was filmed on an island in Greece and showcases the beautiful islands. As always, if you haven’t seen the movie, the following part contains spoilers. 

Bride-to-be Sophie Sheridan reveals to her bridesmaids on the island of Kalokairi that she has invited three men to her wedding in secret without informing Donna, her mother. They are the three men, architect Sam Carmichael, travel writer Bill Anderson, and banker Harry Bright, with whom her mother had been around the time of Sophie’s conception. She believes that after spending time with them, she will be able to identify which is her father, and she expects that he will give her away.

Mamma Mia! (film) - Wikipedia

The three guys arrive that day. She explains that she sent the wedding cards, not Donna, but she doesn’t say whether she thinks one of them is her father. They reluctantly consent to remain hidden after she conceals them, and Donna spies on them. She is shocked to see her former lovers there and orders them to depart. She admits to Tanya and Rosie that she is genuinely unsure of which of the three is Sophie’s father. Sophie finds them on Bill’s sailboat, and they tell Sophie stories of Donna’s carefree youth. Sophie tries to tell her fiance, Sky, about her plan but gets too nervous.

When the three men show up at Sophie’s bachelorette celebration, Donna becomes worried, but Rosie and Tanya reassure her that they will be taken care of. Sam and Harry start to doubt their trip after Sophie chooses to have a private conversation with each of the men. Bill reveals to her that Donna got the cash for her house from his great-aunt Sofia. In the process of convincing herself that Bill is her father, Sophie asks him to give her away and keep it a secret until the wedding. Shortly after Sam and Harry each take Sophie aside to tell her that they are her father and that they will give her away, Sophie’s joy is short-lived. Donna tries to console Sophie in the morning and makes a promise to call off the wedding; Sophie responds angrily by saying she only wants to escape her mother’s mistakes. When Donna and Sam try to talk about the wedding, they both discover they still have feelings for one another.

Sky confronts Sophie after she apologizes to him for her behavior and begs for his help. Donna reveals to Sophie as she gets ready for the wedding that her mother abandoned her after she fell pregnant and that she is incredibly happy to have Sophie. Donna says she will give away Sophie. Sam catches up with Donna as they make their way to the church, and she tells him how devastated she was to lose him. Sam reveals at the wedding that he broke off his engagement and went back to discover Donna with another man (Bill). The three men each consent to be Sophie’s father in proportion to one-third, and they all concur that they do not want Sophie’s paternity to be established. Sophie proposes to Sky that they put off their wedding and travel the world. Donna accepts Sam’s proposal after learning that he is now separated and that he has loved her all along.

I would totally recommend this movie to anyone who wants to watch a fun musical with an interesting plot.

Work Cited:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/MammaMiaTeaserPoster.JPG

One thought on “Mamma Mia!

1. I am one of the very few people who have not seen this movie. I have always felt it was too preppy for me. Though your description sounds interesting it has not changed my mind on that and I will probably not be watching.