It is so easy for us to fall into this negative thinking and a lot of people do it so they prepare themselves for the worst. Especially currently with the pandemic being everything we hear or see, it’s hard to look towards better or more normal days. 

Now there are benefits to thinking positively and studies have shown that it actually works. There has been a study that shows that those who think positive thoughts tend to have lower risks of dying from several major causes of death. But how exactly do we start to think positive thoughts and to be more optimistic?

See the source image

Focus On The Good Things 

COVID-19 has really taken a toll on all of us. We never really expected to be living in fear and anxiety for over a year about a global pandemic. This pandemic has really shifted the thinking of millions of individuals and people are starting to forget that there is some good to our life. When you find yourself thinking about a certain situation, try to focus on what good came out of it. For example, if your friend cancels plans on you, think about how you now have free time to catch up on homework or your favorite TV show. 

Practice Gratitude 

Now this is a big one for me! I think we tend to forget all of the amazing opportunities and resources we have when bad things come our way. A lot of college students complain about homework and exams, but you can shift that thinking into gratitude. You are able to attend a college and receive an education while many others do not have the resources or facilities to do so. Just simply thinking about moments, people, or things that you are grateful for prove to reduce stress and improve self-esteem. 

Open Yourself Up To Humor 

I have heard that laughing for a certain amount of time everyday can actually lead to a longer life. Studies have shown that laughter “lowers stress, anxiety, and depression.” It can also help with coping and self-esteem. When you find yourself with friends, allow yourself to be open to laughter and don’t close yourself off from it. 

Spend Time With Positive People 

Positivity and negativity are contagious. If you hangout with people who are constantly negative, you will start to feel the same way too. Someone in a bad mood is bound to bring others down with them. Individuals who are more positive tend to make others feel positive, and improve your self-esteem and increase your chances of reaching your goals. 

Practice Positive Self-Talk  

We are usually our own worst critic and some things we notice about ourselves, no one else does. Continuing negative self-talk, soon you will start to believe and reduce your self-esteem. When thinking about yourself, be mindful of what your thoughts are telling you – try to change them into a more positive thought. Research has shown that positive self-talk actually helps regulate your feelings and behavior under stress. 

Start Every Day On A Positive Note

Wake up every morning and start a little positive routine. Try starting off with journaling or meditation to get your mind thinking. It is also always a great idea to put on a happy playlist and maybe jam out for a couple minutes. Also look at every day as a “get to” day and not a “have to” day. Think about how you get to have time to do your homework or how you get to go to work and make money. 

These are just some steps that you are able to take to start getting yourself to think more positively. You can always add more into your routine and figure out new ways that help you personally to think and feel better. There is power to positive thinking, you just have to work towards it.

See the source image

To learn more about specific benefits to positive thinking, click here.

3 thoughts on “The Power of Positive Thinking

1. I really enjoyed reading this blog post because I relate to it a lot. I am often labeled as a pessimist and a johnny dark-cloud (as per my mom) because I am very negative. I think that thinking positive can change your whole outlook on situations, and they can dictate how you react to them and ultimately your resiliency as a person. Even though techniques like these seem obvious, cliche, or dumb, they definitely can have a major influence on how you interpret the world around you. Especially techniques like practicing gratitude or starting everyday on a positive note can really open our eyes to the great things in our life that we often take for granted. I will definitely be employing some of these techniques come finals week!

2. I really enjoyed this blog and the positives vibes surrounding it. This post is no different in simply radiating positive vibes which I greatly appreciate. The advice seems spot on; I know I have practiced some of them to keep me positive and now I know of a few more things to do thanks to this. Positive thinking and being in control of your mental health is critical for a happy life and this post, and your blog in general, does a great job of opening our mind to better vibes.

3. This is a great list of ways to become more positive!
    Because of the isolation from quarantine, I found that I wasn’t laughing as much I used to and my overall mood was low. So a few months ago, I started laughing yoga, where you sit on the floor and literally just laugh, letting your mind find humor. I’ve been dealing with a lot of stress lately with schoolwork and all the police shootings and Asian hate and violence, so this practice has helped me find a reason to laugh and feel good despite all the horrifying and stressful factors going on.
    I will say, however, I think there is such thing as “toxic optimism and positivity”. Not every day is meant to be the best day ever, and putting up the front of being optimistic and positive even when you don’t actually feel that way can be very draining and cause you to crash, breakdown, and feel overwhelmed. That’s why I think we should be mindful of our own emotions and feelings and allow ourselves to process negative emotions and feelings as well.