Final Post: Beyond the Binary

Over the course of this civic issues blog, I have done my best to introduce to you and explain the gender spectrum and impart the knowledge that gender is not a binary system and there is so much more than male and female. I have tried to make you aware of some of the struggles that nonbinary and non-cisgender individuals face on a daily basis. I have explained that a gender spectrum has important implications for the orientation spectrum as well.

tumblr_o549un4fiz1ryr3zoo1_500

Now, at the end of Beyond the Binary, I’d like to reiterate the most important points that I hope you take away from your experience reading this blog:

• Gender identity is not a choice.
  • Gender identity is not constricted to a binary system of male and female.
  • Romantic orientation and sexual orientation also fall along a spectrum, as there are more than just two genders to which a  person could feel attraction.
  • Nonbinary, trans*, and non-straight individuals face extreme prejudice, discrimination, abuse, and fear in their everyday lives.

There are also many things that I would have liked to write full posts about, but sadly there wasn’t enough time. So, at this point, I’ll leave you with little blurbs of things that I would also like readers of this blog to be aware of, and hopefully you’ll be interested enough to look into them for yourself! (link to a great blog that talks about some of these issues: whatdoesenbymean)

• Now that issues of heteronormativity and gay rights have become more popular in the media, television shows have started to replace the trope of a token nonwhite character with that of a token gay character.
  • There is a huge difference between “gender” and “sex,” and these terms are not interchangeable. “Sex” refers to a person’s biological organs and “gender” refers to a person’s innate identity.  Also, biological sex itself can fall on a spectrum. Different chromosomal combinations lead to people being born with combinations of reproductive organs associated with both “male” and “female,” so even biological sex can’t be considered a binary system.
Intersex – (noun) someone whose combination of chromosomes, gonads, hormones, internal sex organs, and genitals differs from the two expected patterns of male or female. In the medical care of infants the initialism DSD (“Differing/Disorders of Sex Development”). Formerly known as hermaphrodite (or hermaphroditic), but these terms are now considered outdated and derogatory.
  • The issue of LGBT+ rights was not solved with the legalization of same-sex marriage. We still have a long way to go in terms of recognizing the minorities in the LGBT+ community and establishing equal rights and equal respect for all people. The “big progress” of legalizing same-sex marriage is really just a small step in the big picture. Also: it’s not the legalization of “gay marriage,” it’s the legalization of “same-sex marriage.” Just because the people getting married are the same gender does not mean that either or both of them are gay.
  • We do have some good news! Some toy stores have started making efforts to remove gendered labels on their toys to allow all children to play with whatever toy they want.
  • And perhaps the issue I would have most liked to make a full post about: pronouns. Learn them, ask for them, respect them, use them. It doesn’t matter if it’s hard for you to ask or if it’s hard for you to remember. Make the effort. Don’t misgender someone because you don’t want to use their pronouns. Look at it from their point of view, and imagine what it’s like to go every single day of your life being referred to as something you’re not.

Above all: be respectful and, as cliché as it is, treat others how you would like to be treated. Accept people for their differences and accept them for who they are.

Because they can’t change.

tumblr_inline_n7n6jiJzZ31qbivjg

5 thoughts on “Final Post: Beyond the Binary”

1. You did a fine job of explaining information that helps people understand the LGBT community. I definitely learned new perspectives about facts I already thought I knew. Many people think they may know all about the LGBT community when what they know is in fact the bare minimum. It is important to highlight that many of these orientations are not choices, which you did nicely throughout this blog. Thanks for some great posts!

2. Okay, just scrolling through, the first thing I did was laugh out loud at that picture. I’ve really liked the way you’ve written your blog. It’s been both informative and easily understandable. Your writing would be great to get out into the world to explain to those people who are just too close-minded (or other words) to understand. Great blog!

3. Your first picture was probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen. Your blog has been awesome and I always love reading it with more internal voice screaming “YES!” You have definitely helped me understand and learn more about a (very broad) topic that I thought I was fairly educated on. I also am really upset there aren’t more posts to come because the ones you described would have been very interesting (especially the third point). I would also love to talk about this stuff anytime if you want!

4. i actually found this blog to be the most informative on a topic that not many people are aware of, or understand it. Taking various sociology classes it has opened my eyes in which i can relate and understand your posts.

5. THAT IS THE BEST IMAGE HAHAHAHHA I love the way you wrapped up your civic issues blog. I think it is an extremely important and relevant topic and I hope that more and more people start educating themselves and being respectful of these spectrums of gender identity and romantic and sexual orientation